Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went to a Skatalites concert. On the way I saw this pretty nicely modded RX8. So I lined up next to him at the next traffic light and figured he would want to drag a few meters as he was checking my ride at the light.
So we spun off at green and I got 1/2 car on him which he couldn't catch back. So at the next light we both gave the thumbs and one light further he rolled his window down to ask me if I would be interested in having my car photographed. :thumbsup: So we exchanged telephone numbers at a bus stop as I was on my way to the concert.

On my way back I lined up next to a Golf R32. I wasn't really ready for a drag, so I hit the gas when he already'd revved up. So yeah, he had like 2 cars on me. A stock R32 has 250 hp and 4 motion and about 2/3rd the weight of my CTS. I guess I had no chance with an automatic. :( The stats state 6.2sec for 0-60 for the R32.

Maybe when I have all my mods done...

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
I got the jump on a Yamaha FJ1100 at a stoplight the other day with my V8 AWD STS. I left him startled by the brutal launch. He gave me the thumbs up and was impressed.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, I think I will go for a next gen CTS 2 door with all wheel drive!
That's an impressive performance from the STS!

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The RX8 guy probably was not paying attention. Those cars are deceptively fast, and rev all the way to the stratosphere. And will bring a smile from ear to ear. And get you lots of speeding tickets and lots of trouble...

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
really? ..what are the numbers on the rx8??

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Numbers dont matter. The 8 is probably the most fun to drive car I have ever had the pleasure of. My V will certainly outaccelerate it, and it will brake harder, corner harder, run faster through a slalom and around a racetrack. But the 8 just has that intangible feel that makes it a blast to drive.

But due to its narrow powerband (7000-9000 rpm) its not a dragracer. The real power doesnt even start until almost 7000. I think stock it's a high 14 sec car.

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Not surprising since you have to know how to drive an RX-8 to get its best time of 5.9 sec to 60 (8k clutch drop) and a 14.6 1/4 mile.

I like that a CTS-V owner just gave props to an RX8 :thumbsup: Love ours. Love the V series too.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
My sis has an Rx-8, now that she has just moved from AZ back to Chicago, I am intimately connecting with the 8.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
The RX-8 is a good car I am not into imports or peaky power, but if I had to drive one that would be on list before most other import sport coupes.
They drive very nice and look good.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
The RX8 guy probably was not paying attention. Those cars are deceptively fast, and rev all the way to the stratosphere. And will bring a smile from ear to ear. And get you lots of speeding tickets and lots of trouble...
From a dig the RX8 is gutless. I, as usual, drove one at the auction i worked at, and often got to do 0-50 in almost any car you could think of and sometimes take them on the highway.

The RX8 is a blast, but has nothing down low. You need to keep it above 5k rpms to do anything. Once youre up there its a rocket, but i wouldnt try to drag anyone. Though they wernt intended for that in the first place.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
The RX8 is a let down. It isn't a fast car by any means. The thing the car is known for is it's handling abilities. But at the sametime when Mazda brought out the RX8 they said out front that the RX8 isn't a replacement for the RX7 because they were bringing it back later on.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
From a dig the RX8 is gutless. I, as usual, drove one at the auction i worked at, and often got to do 0-50 in almost any car you could think of and sometimes take them on the highway.

The RX8 is a blast, but has nothing down low. You need to keep it above 5k rpms to do anything. Once youre up there its a rocket, but i wouldnt try to drag anyone. Though they wernt intended for that in the first place.
For sure, keeping it above 6k is part of the fun, dont ya know?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The RX8 is a let down. It isn't a fast car by any means. The thing the car is known for is it's handling abilities. But at the sametime when Mazda brought out the RX8 they said out front that the RX8 isn't a replacement for the RX7 because they were bringing it back later on.
The RX7 was axed from what I heard. They are having a hard enough time moving the 8.

And anyone who says the 8 is a letdown or slow has never driven one. It will "outfun" the V anyday. It's only problem is impracticality. And mileage is not much better than a V.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
For sure, keeping it above 6k is part of the fun, dont ya know?
Agreed. Damn it i need a second car... I miss my '85 300ZX. It was N/A, but still a blast.

jimmyhauser said:
And anyone who says the 8 is a letdown or slow has never driven one.
Agreed. Its only a let down if you expect V8 torque from it. If you want to destroy some twisties, there isnt much besides maybe a Lotus Elise/Exige that can compare.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Actually, the V will still outhandle it. The 8 is maybe above average when it comes it to raw cornering power. I dont know the numbers, but I am sure the V is faster through a slalom as well. Again, the 8 just has that fun factor that you cant measure.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Agreed. Damn it i need a second car... I miss my '85 300ZX. It was N/A, but still a blast.
I am trying to find cash for a fourth car. Waiting for prices on used Solstices to come down. I know it isnt even close to the best sports car out there, but it looks cool, its a drop top, and I bet the resale is going to suck on them.

And if I got one, I could name it Jazz :D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts