Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
PREVIOUS 00DTS,04DTS,04DTS,03CTS,07CTS CURRENT 07STS4 09CTS4
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
been a couple months i havent posted cars in the shop getting repainted for the last 2 months...since the hood of the car is off the guy from the shop told me he noticed when he started the car that smoke comes from under the engine cover?what could it be?and that after a while of leaving the car running he could also smell coolant burning...now just before giving the car in I started to smell the coolant burning and the smell was coming from the water pump area but the smoke is coming from under the cover?2 different problems?

and also i have a oil leak since I bought the car but its too much now...was told its the oil pan but im going to get that double checked next week but if it is the oil pan what em I looking at?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
God help you! It's big bucks. Apparently, the drive train has to be removed for this repair. Check some recent posts in the last week on this forum for the exact same problem. BTW, check the OBD codes (sticky at top of page) and maybe get a clue or two as to what all is wrong. Could be more than oil causing smoke, etc.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,111 Posts
You need to remove the cover and look around. Figure out if it is in fact 2 different problems, smoke and steam. Then figure out where they are coming from, but it's gonna take a visual inspection.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe im blind but i looked didnt
Find nothin posted... hope its not that serious the car will go on the mechanics side starting tuesday so he will check it all out but is the oil pan a huge job?if a burning coolant smell is coming from the water pump area what could that be?and he said its very very little smoke and its not constant

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,111 Posts
Yes, the oil pan is a HUGE job. The drivetrain must be dropped.

The water pump area is not. It could be a leaky pump shaft or cover seal.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok but droping the draintrain is it risky stuff long term?maybe start having problems with that after movin it around?these northstars are startin to piss me off they got a nice feel n all but all this removing this dropping that lol dammit! But its my love for caddy that keeps me around lol hopefully its not the oil pan and the other mechanic was wrong ill post as soon i get some news

1 - 6 of 6 Posts