Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what would cause smoke to come out of the steering column of my 97 Eldo? I had the car in park with the motor running for about 10 minutes when I noticed small, faint streams of smoke coming from behind the steering wheel. No real odor to it. Seemed to be white smoke.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
it happened in my 89 Deville while driving to Detroit with a bunch of friends. I have no idea what caused it, it happened once, and never again.

Althought my multi-function switch had a tendency to leave the side marker light on, after using the left turn signal. i had to give it an extra bump up, all the time or else that light would stay on all the time...so probably was my multi-function switch also!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the multifunction switch the same thing as the multifunction lever? Is this serious or costly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It happened to me too in my '93 ETC...smoke just started wisping out of the steering column one day, never had a problem with it again though...ive noticed that my instrument panel gets really warm to the touch sometimes and guessed it was related.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
NSO6400 said:
It happened to me too in my '93 ETC...smoke just started wisping out of the steering column one day, never had a problem with it again though...ive noticed that my instrument panel gets really warm to the touch sometimes and guessed it was related.
mine also seemed to get really warm, if i remember correctly.

the mutlifunction switch/stalk is the arm that you use to use turn signals, etc.

I never replaced it on my Deville, but never had any problems until the day it was retired.

On my Chrysler (supposedly) the multifunction stalk just pulls right out and i believe the cost is around $100 for that car. I'm not too sure about the Cadillac's bu I imagine it couldn't be too much of a difference in price.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Nothing to worry about. It's been discussed to death before. Do a search if it will calm your nerves.

If I recall, it had something to do with lubricant burning off . . . .

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
166 Posts
i now carry marshmellows and hot dogs in my eldorado, just in case my steering column starts to blaze.
i'll be ready !!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
It's just a bit of grease burning off the electrical contacts. My '94 Deville did it once a year ago, and hasn't done it since.

·
Super Moderator
86,068 Posts
Warren and Caddydaddy are correct. It is just grease burning off of the contacts. Ignore it and it will go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But why does it take 15 years for it to show up ? I never noticed the problem before today in my 15 year old Caddy ( Love the car ! ) and the symptoms were identical to the O.P. ! You sure nothing is going to burn up the car ?

·
Cadillac Technician
11,051 Posts
The contacts get bad in the turn signal switch from years of arcing. The arcing causes poor contact and the current flow causes excess heat from the poor contact.
This heats up the lubrication on the switch and makes it smoke.
Replace the turn signal switch assembly and it will be fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
YUP, my '92 Touring Coupe has exhibited that white smoke twice now within 3 weeks.
Car has 45K miles.

It is slightly warm to the touch just below the hazard light button.
After alot of time with ignition on, the warmth conduces a bit further around that area but not around the ignition key.

I have also read elswhere that its lubricant burning.

Can't the contacts be cleaned ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
The Gold