Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while getting exaust work done I realized my cat has already been gutted and the tube from the cat the the smog pump crimped off.

My question is: since it hasn't thrown codes already due to this, would it cause any further problems if I completely remove my smog pump and all related plumbing and unplug electricals to the pump?
I really could care less about emissions but am concerned with fuel economy and performance and that aggrevating check engine light.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It won't make much difference taking it off other than removing the clutter. You will have to find a correct size belt which means trying to figure out what size you need..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pump has its own v-belt and actually is already off since I was changing the alternator belt yesterday and am about to tackle the valve cover gaskets. Which is another big reason I was wondering what it would affect by removing the emissions since it's all in the way anyway.

Main reason I ask is because I noticed several electrical components in some of the related plumbing, and because of past expirenice deleting emissions, was wondering if it would cause the check engine light to come on or ""throw codes"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi. My 89 suffered from the clutter, ALL components were removed. I only kept the necessary items, oxygen sensor, TPS, MAP, knock, temp sensor for gauge (idiot lamp)and temp sensor for PCM, and the solenoid on carburetor. Honestly, it ran GREAT!! Seemed to run cooler. I still had working lock-up, and i sold it 3 years ago, still on the road. Fittings on manifolds will need help, you don't want fumes all over. Good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok which 5.0L do you have? THe Olds 307 or the Chevy 305? If I remember correctly the 307 belt is the same as the A/C belt. Specifics help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok which 5.0L do you have? THe Olds 307 or the Chevy 305? If I remember correctly the 307 belt is the same as the A/C belt. Specifics help.
Its a 307. I believe 305/350 TH700R4 drivetrains were introduced in the 1990 model with the "euro" front clip. AC belt is separate from smog pump, quick slice and done, but if rest of system not capped, some exhaust fumes can be forced into the engine, not a good thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is the Olds 307, independent belt. I planned on plugging the pump to breather tube and each of the lines coming from each cylinder ....tried the same thing on a 85 ambulance I had with a 350 and it caused all sorts of weird problems so I figured I would check around before I went turning wrenches. Plan on doing all this as soon as I get finished painting it, hopefully tomorrow .....giving the old girl new life

1 - 8 of 8 Posts