Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Catera
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a small white plastic piece that fits on the front of the brake assembly, in the middle of the caliper and rests just on the inside of the brake disc. It is attached to a wire that leads back into the engine compartment. The only markings on the (sensor?) are "PEX". What is this and what does it do?

The story: I have been experiencing the EBTCM problem, TC/ABS/Check Engine light on, no speedo. Before pulling the EBTCM unit out and sending it off for repairs, I thought I would make sure the sensors at the wheels were in good shape first. I also remembered that when this problem first started there where two unique things that had happened to the car that same day.

First, I was going to change the front brake pads and had removed the tire. At that time I noticed that the (sensor?) described above seemed loose and I played with it a bit. Yes, it is possible I broke it at this time. Finding the brake pads to be fine, I put the wheel back on.

Later that day my wife was driving the car (big mistake) and the tension pulley for the serpentine belt exploded. I was able to fix that the following day but from that point on, that very day, I started having the problem with the TC/ABS lights.

Is this piece is a sensor and if that sensor has failed, could this cause the same symptoms as a bad EBTCM?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
It's just a brake pad wear sensor. When it touches the disc a light appears on the dash. I can't see it causing the problems you report.

·
Registered
1999 Catera Sport
677 Posts
It was the wife. I find if i ever let my girlfriend drive any my cars they try to commit SUICIDE!!!! I don't know if it's her driving, her emotional swings, or the fact that she'll tune into Taylor Swift or Hanna Montana for her younger sister. Keep the women away form the toys. Hmmmm,.... maybe she sabotages them on purpose because they get more attention than her,..... :annoyed:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts