Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 caddilac base 4.9. replaced north✴ with steel bl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really know if this will be an extensive answer or not, but any advice or general direction will be greatly apperciated. I have a 1995 caddilac deville, i prolly dont have to say it but for simplicitys sake it has the 4t60e transmission. I had previously had a problem with overheating but a complete overhaul of the cooling system , set it back running to 190-207 at the highest. During that process i replaced the radiator and with that a portion of the transmission fluid was lost during repair. I have had no problems with the transmission, its a new engine that i learned i was takin for but no worries live and learn. It has around 25,000 miles on it. Before the overheating problem was fixed , as said before no problems with transmission ran exatcly how it should. Only after i got the new radiator in and refilled the antifreeze, i started the car and idled it drove around the block 1/8th of a mile, and was 4.5 quarts low on transmission fluid, i added the dextron 4, uses 3 but mech said it was back compatible , i smelled a burnt toast kind of smell, i figured this was because of low fluid and immediately turned the car off and filled it with 3 quarts, waited for 20 minutes and JUST idled it and refilled as was needed. Manged to get it perfectly ttopped off after shifting through all the gears several times. i drove it a round with no problems, shifted smooth, no delay, and after 5 miles i hit the gas hard to test it out and it shifted through all 4 gears without a hiccop. I know somthing could have gone very wrong but thankfully nothing did, i only thought that through after. But to my dismay the reverse did not want to kick in gear. At idle reverse rmp it seems to want to crawl backwards for a few feet close to 4mph, but with incresed rpm reverse power is lost. afraid i might have grinded the gears when i smelled the burning, ( reverse was not working before this, directly after fluid loss from radiator change) I dropped the transmission pan and inspected color and the magnet. transmission fluid is still very red no blackness, im good with fluids , its in no urgent need of a full flush and service but while im at it i will have it done. The magnet was clear of large chunks of metal , but instead had the equivalent( best way i can explain) was if you ashed a ciggerate 2-3 times and squished the pile with your finger, in really fine metal fillaments. I passed a magnet over the one in the transmission pan and they stuck up. There was not an abundance of them but was enough to see. i replaced the filter and gasket cleaned the magnet , and put it back together, was able to catch all of the transfluid in the pan despite a few drops, then refilled it, again all foward drive and acceleration id great. Plus in reverse there seems to be a low idle condition, normal, like 6-750 rpm. So at last my question is could i have shot my transmission? Im not sure but i do belive any sign of metal no matter how small is not a good thing. Is this a rebuild or am i missing somthing obvious? While i would like to belive my transmission is not shot reguardless of how it worked before the radiator change, i am looking at the sad fate of the car at this point, is there anything that can be done , or am i looking at major repairs? I know this was alot of words but, info is key around here. If anybody could chime in it would be a HUGE help.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Paragraphs would help. I don't understand how you lost so much trans fluid changing the radiator. Some trannys do die quickly when they run low on fluid. Once I blew a rubber trans cooler line on a new/rebuilt trans (th350) and it only went about 1/2 mile. I don't know if the 4t60 is that weak but it may be.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
I would also try to figure out where the fluid went. Maybe the torque converter was removed and drained during the swap, or maybe you have cross contamination with the radiator, one is irrelevant the other is a big deal

Not working in reverse could be a few different things, anything from leaking seal that blows by under high pressure, to failed drum. Only thing you can do is take it to a trans shop and ask them. Ask your mechanic who does performance transmission work, the normal shops that do R&R will always tell you it needs a rebuild

·
Registered
1995 caddilac base 4.9. replaced north✴ with steel bl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as losing that much fluid, i had left the trans line hanging, it to about a day later than i thought foe the radiator to come in, mabe it was lower than some of its transmission components needing fluid, but there is not enough to hang below the pan. I may just end up having to do that.
Taking ot to a performence shop, im sick and ttired of hearing my head gasket is blown, ( hell i was told that one time so i did replace it, not even a month later i went in for a trans flush and was tried to be sold the same thing,) mostly bs from the shops here. Thanks guys,

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
As far as losing that much fluid, i had left the trans line hanging, it to about a day later than i thought foe the radiator to come in, mabe it was lower than some of its transmission components needing fluid, but there is not enough to hang below the pan. I may just end up having to do that.
Taking ot to a performence shop, im sick and ttired of hearing my head gasket is blown, ( hell i was told that one time so i did replace it, not even a month later i went in for a trans flush and was tried to be sold the same thing,) mostly bs from the shops here. Thanks guys,
===================

I recommend finding an independently owned trans shop -
one who has been there for many years -
NOT an Aamco - or other chain-store or franchise type shop -

what city do you live in?
we have members all over the country -
someone near you might know of a good shop -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts