Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this problem for a while now... it starts around 50mph or so, and gets worse/louder as speed increases....

....I can't describe it very well, but it is like a countionous squeeking sound, like a rolling sound...... kinda sounds like a squeeky wheel on a cart or lawn mower etc..... around 45-50mph it is fait, but around 65-70mph it is louder and constant, around 75mph it is to the point where even when I have music on, I can still hear it.....

I know for sure it is NOT from the engine, so it leads me to believe it is the chassis/suspension (err....what else is left? :) )

Anyway, it is really a pain, one becuase something is wrong, and I want to fix it, but also driving on the highway or a major road is a pain becuase I gotta hear it all the time.

Sorry I can't describe it any better, if anyone would want me to try and go into more detail with a certain aspect of it or something, let me know..... Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Hang on to the bottom of the car and have a friend drive it 70mph and see if you can tell what it is. :D (btw this is only if you want to die)

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I went to my cousins, he is a major Honda freak, but knows a really good deal about cars and engines in general and stuff, he said it could be a wheel bearing... I never thought of that, but probally Sunday he is gonna drive the car and see if he can figure it out....

...still, does anyopne know what it may be?

·
Registered
989 Posts
davesdeville said:
Hang on to the bottom of the car and have a friend drive it 70mph and see if you can tell what it is. :D (btw this is only if you want to die)
GREAT advice, dave.

I'm guessing wheel bearing. See how much grease is in there, they might need some more or you need a new one.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
I'm guessing the brake pad wear indicator. You know that little piece of metal that rubs against the rotor to let you know it's time for new pads? Is the sound quiet while you brake, and only when you drive? Mind you, I doubt you could hear it good at high speed. Could be bearings, but make sure if it is you change them both on the same axle. I thought I would be cheap with my Pontiac and did one, the next week same thing on the other, very time-consuming at Midas.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yeah wheel bearing sounds right, ive also heard of this kind of problem from cheap tires or simply underinflated tires, also a possibility you have a bent rim, all of these things could be it, but i would check the wheel bearing first.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it is not the brake wear indicator, as it is when the breaks are not applied and at a constant speed..... (although I think my brakes will need to be changed soon becuae I do hear the indicator at times)

the wheel isn't damaged, and the tires are all inflated correctly (just topped them off last week)

Is the wheel bearing a difficult/expensive thing to replace? or kinda simple? What would the easiest way of checking it out be? (in case I do not want to wait until I go to my cousins Sunday to see if it is the problem)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Night Wolf