Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the small hose coming from the bottom of the throttle body then connecting to a thin plastic line going back between the upper and lower intake manifold on an '03 3.2? I thought it was a vacuum line but it's dripping antifreeze. I've replaced the hose twice but it still drips. 馃槙

Administrator
'05 CTS-V
Looking at that picture it seems like a couple of hose clamps might be all you need to fix the issue.

Believe it or not, it is a coolant line. The idea is to keep the throttle body cool. That is as much as I know.
Actually, it's there to keep the throttle body warm. The pressure drop across the throttle body could theoretically cause icing which could cause the throttle blade to stick. (Ideal gas law, pressure drop causes temperature to drop, cold moist air could deposit ice on the throttle blade.)

Very common to see coolant routed through the TB - all of my cars that have a conventional cable-operated throttle body have coolant lines. Also very common for people to bypass the TB to avoid issues like dja is having.

Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
The coolant heated throttlebody lasted less than 2 years in the pre-2000 Northstars due to purge line leaks and clogs, thus causing oddball overheat events.

Bypass using a single length of reinforced rubber fuel line and band clamps.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive lighting Line

Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
Nope. Just an idea of what/why the heated TB seems to come and go and why the small coolant lines can be problematic - like you posted in #3.

Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently I was blaming the wrong hose... I noticed it was leaking at the same rate no matter if it was connected or not.

That's simply not possible...

I looked elsewhere. It ended up being the hose up and to the right on the picture. The clamp cut into the hose. The slow drip was migrating over to and down the tiny hose. The big one was being a bully. C'est la vie...

Thank you all for your help.

Stay tuned! I have 14 codes to remedy...

Seriously...

馃槙

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.