Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Deville, 55,000 miles, 32 psi in all tires. Power steering not working 100%when parking, makes it difficult to turn the wheel. Seems like when you need power steering while parking it's not there. No pump noise, no codes, fluid level is full, no belt noise, no problem with the steering other than parking. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
The belt may need to be adjusted or replaced, or more likely that the pump has seen better days.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
I doubt the belt is adjustable. On our 94 Deville your problem would indicate a pump failing like an internal leak, or the same with the rack piston. Since your fluid isnt dropping, there are no external leaks and not likely to have air in the system.

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. If a belt is loose you would normally get a belt squeal. I checked the belt and it is tight.
Most internal leaks will also be associated with some sort of noise. I removed the cap and can't see any foaming or air bubbles indicative of an internal leak.
Does the Deville have variable power assist steering meaning it would increase the power while parking and decrease while driving? Could there be something wrong in that area and if so what?

Thanks again,
Justin

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had exactly the same problem on my 2000 Deville DTS. It was under warranty,dealer replaced the pump. Heard no sounds just lack of power steering when parking. Had no problem sionce and that was 40,000 miles ago

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Amazing, a $50,000 Cadillac with a power steering pump that won't last 50,000 miles. No wonder Toyota is number one.
I did check the parts store and they only want $60.00 for a pump and it dosen't look that bad to R&R.

Thanks,
Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts