Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me, my wife, and her brother were out to go to Wal-Mart last night and we're sitting at this light on a 4-lane that changes into a 2-lane about 1/8 mile after the light. We're sitting there looking at the red light when this new Taurus comes up next me. The guy is looking at me as he pulls up. WTF? It's not even a DOHC Taurus (had the FFV emblem on the side, meaning an OHV 3.0). The light turns green and he pulls out hard so I step on it, scratch the tires a little bit off the line and just blow is doors off. The race was over before I even shifted into second gear!

It was fun, but really weird. I guess that guy had a wild hair up his a$$ last night. :rolleyes:

Here's another for the "Cadillac beats slow car" file.

Attachments

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! We have a lot of those Tauruses here as company vehicles. I was in an '01 the other day and tried to race a new Silverado. I had the pedal on the floor and that truck just kept driving farther and farther away. Those OHV engines are respectable in the mileage department (30-35 mpg) and in the reliability department (our '96 has 270,000 miles), but not in the speed department. :eek:

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ford's 3.0L OHV engines have about 150 horsepower and 200 lb*ft of torque. They're not bad engines, just not nearly big enough to move a vehicle such as a Taurus down the road quickly. :) They do fine on the Interstate, but in a drag race, they're dogs. Note, that I'm speaking of the OHV 3.0L engine made by Ford, not GM's 3800 or LS1 engines -- they're entirely different animals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
any car that you need to save $ on a monthly basis to pay for head gaskets and transmissions is not a good car in my book. They used to be job security for me at the independent shops.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The only Taurus I've ever driven was one of those SHO's and I.M.H.O. it was a dog! That was besides being a not particularly nice looking car. Typical FURD....Crappy lines!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm kinda confused here. Everybody keeps referring to these engines as OHV engines. Are you confusing OHV with OHC?
BTW,
KC you're totally nuts dude! A STOCK '90 SHO would run a 15.0 1/4 pretty easily. That's almost 1/2sec. quicker than a six year newer Impala SS. And it was only doing it with a 6cyl.
You may not like Ford, or the look of the car but you gotta respect what it could do.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Felt like a dog to me!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Must've been a load. If they're setup right(not meaning modded), they scoot pretty good, especially for a NA 6cyl.
Beyond that, they're rust buckets, tough to work on, hard to find parts for, and most importantly, DAMN EXPENSIVE TO WORK ON!!
Kinda like my old muscle cars, ran like a bat out of hell, when they ran ;)

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The regular Tauruses are available with both an OHV 3.0L V6 (the "Vulcan V6") and a DOHC 3.0L V6. Nowadays, they're offering flexible fuel engines -- these are variants of the OHV V6. They have a FFV emblem on the side, meaning that they're the OHV flex fuel engines. The now-defunct SHO had a DOHC 3.4L V8 from 96+ and a pair of Yamaha DOHC V6s for the earlier machines -- 3.0 liters for stick cars and 3.2 liters for automatic cars.

My friend had a few of the pre-96 machines, a '92 and '94. Both sticks. I drove his red '94. It was a really sweet machine, although he said they were both in the shop a lot. The redline was 7200 or 7500 or something like that. It was fun maxing that thing out, especially when I was used to my Cutlass -- the yellow line started at 4500 and by 5000, it had turned red! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
IMO, taurus (pl taurii? :D ) arent bad cars. They are good for what they are designed for, which is providing transportation. Thats about it. I see a lot of pre-96 on the road, so they must be pretty reliable.

7000 redline, thats pretty deep. The redline on my Q is 8000, and that is huge for a V8. Although, it never gets up there :halo:

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Katshot said:
What I was gettin at was why use the "OHV"? What else is there?
They're ALL OHV engines aren't they?

yeah they are all OHV engines...but i typically see OHV used to describe a non-OHC engine, which is what they were doing in this case.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wes, the REDLINE is at 8000 rpm...or that's how high the tach goes? I've never heard of a V8 with a redline that starts at 8000 rpm on a production car. That's pretty steep!

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Brett's got it right. Technically, they're all OHV -- OverHead Valve -- engines. What's common in the auto industry is to call an engine with a camshaft in the block, with pushrods actuating the valves, an OHV engine.

An engine with a camshaft mounted in a cylinder head is typically referred to as an OHC -- OverHead Camshaft -- engine. And an engine with two camshafts mounted in a cylinder head is a DOHC -- Dual OverHead Camshaft -- engine.

It's sorta gets confusing there -- a OHC 4-cylinder engine has one cam. A OHC V6 really has two camshafts, one in each cylinder head. A DOHC V8 really has four camshafts, even though the "D" stands for Dual.

Wow! :excited:

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
"Wes, the REDLINE is at 8000 rpm...or that's how high the tach goes? I've never heard of a V8 with a redline that starts at 8000 rpm on a production car. That's pretty steep!"

i gotta agree the new G35 v6 redlines at 6600..if your tach actually redlines at 8000 i would definitely avoid it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts