Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SLS 1998 check brake fluid and NO ABS data

346 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sefiro 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 1998 cadillac SLS.

I got the "check brake fluid" message on my dash, along with the brake warning light and traction control light coming on.
I checked the level, it was just below MAX.
I also unplug the connector, jumper the 2 leads, then start the car.
Unfortunately, the warning remains on the dashboard

Current Codes:
No ABS DATA
IPC U1255 Current
PCM P1602 Current

I think it has something to do with ABS.
Searching the forum I have found that it could be the EBTCM, Ignition Switch, Loose Battery Connections or faulty sensors/wiring.

I have already checked the fuses and replaced the EBTCM and Ignition Switch.

Does anyone know the solution to this problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
The check brake fluid message is from the level sensor in the master cylinder reservoir. I think it's a NO (Normally Open) reed switch, so unplugging it (open circuit) should turn off the light.

Use the car's built-in diagnostic code scanner to look at any stored trouble codes. All those brake systems are monitored. Use the correct model/year section of the sticky thread ^ ^ ^ "How to pull codes". There's a link to all OBD-II codes in the thread.

#4 ·
Try jumping the pigtail wires together with an extra wire. A normally open switch does not send a signal back to the ecu, until the switch is closed (low fluid). If it's normally closed, (constant signal to the ecu), the loss of signal (low fluid, open switch) will set the light. By jumping the wires, you are allowing the signal back to the ecu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.