Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps. My '87 Fleetwood Brougham has developed an annoying habit.

The motor turns over well enough when cold. But when the motor is warmed up it turns over really slow on the starter. If I fill up with fuel its really hard to start again. if I leave it 10, 15 minutes then its fine.

starter motor?

battery?

suggestions?

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
The starter is heat sinking. When an electronic device becomes hot, electrical resistance builds up and makes the device draw more current (AMPs). Usually when a starter starts doing this, it's time to replace it. There should be a heat shield behind the starter that might be defective, so you could try changing that as well.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
It could also be too much timing. Some of my cars are right on the edge like that. Try giving it a pump of gas with the accelerator and it should start easier if it's the timing. If there is no change then the starter must be on the way out.

·
Registered
'09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '05 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2,241 Posts
The starter is heat sinking. When an electronic device becomes hot, electrical resistance builds up and makes the device draw more current (AMPs). Usually when a starter starts doing this, it's time to replace it. There should be a heat shield behind the starter that might be defective, so you could try changing that as well.
Couldn't have said it better myself. My '84 did this for a while. I changed out my starter and never had the problem again. Good luck man!

·
Registered
1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac
395 Posts
Check your starter power wire and your grounds first. A 307 starter is pretty expense. But an olds 350 and 455 starter is way cheaper. But way bigger. I have a 455 starter on my 307 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts