Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe Performance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that if I'm stopped at a light or somewhere in my 2012 CTS Coupe (3.6) and I accelerate every so slightly, the trans will shift around 1500 rpm. This shift (at least to me seems kinda sloppy). However, if I'm stopped and accelerate a bit heavier when taking off and allow the rpms to get up around 2000, then it shifts much better. Anyone else notice this?

----------

It seems like the 1-2 shift at low RPMS doesn't create enough pressure to make a nice clean and crisp shift. Otherwise, the trans shifts quickly and smoothly .

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe Performance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my car is AWD. It doesn't seem like a big deal and it's very tough to explain, but it kinda slides into gear rather than a quick, clean, firm shift into the next gear.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
Every other automatic I've driven has been a 4-speed, and it's definitely different driving these A6's. Taking off easy from a stop light it will shift to 2nd halfway through the intersection and into 3rd by the time I reach the other side. Same with light throttle at 40mph it will shift into 6th gear, seems way too low. Of course, giving a bit more throttle keeps it in a lower gear. I think driving with the shifter in "Sport" mode may be preferable.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,253 Posts
I've noticed that if I'm stopped at a light or somewhere in my 2012 CTS Coupe (3.6) and I accelerate every so slightly, the trans will shift around 1500 rpm. This shift (at least to me seems kinda sloppy). However, if I'm stopped and accelerate a bit heavier when taking off and allow the rpms to get up around 2000, then it shifts much better. Anyone else notice this?

----------

It seems like the 1-2 shift at low RPMS doesn't create enough pressure to make a nice clean and crisp shift. Otherwise, the trans shifts quickly and smoothly .
Sounds normal to me. At light throttle you shouldn't feel any of the shifts.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium AWD
222 Posts
by sport mode do you mean sliding the shifter over to the pseudo manual shifts?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,597 Posts
Mine does the same. I'm glad, esp when driving in the city. The last thing I want to feel is that hard gear changing, just to come a stop in the next 25 yds. at a light.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Feels like a Powerglide? If you are old enough to remember those two-speed automatic transmissions. I knew a young lady with the nickname Powerglide. By the time she shifted into "second gear" you were really revving! (true story).

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
Feels like a Powerglide? If you are old enough to remember those two-speed automatic transmissions. I knew a young lady with the nickname Powerglide. By the time she shifted into "second gear" you were really revving! (true story).
Now that you mention her, how's the wifey doing these days? :rofl:

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Mine is the same as the OP is describing. I've never liked it. To me it is almost like a slip. Not Awd though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I drove in sport mode yesterday as shakeydeal advised. Fixed the slipping shifts.

Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
It does that so that it can force the car into a higher gear in an attempt for better mileage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
so would it be correct to assume that in sport mode shifts will be smoother but gas mileage will suffer? Any benefits of leaving the car in sport mode when cruising at highway speeds?

·
Registered
2001 SLS & 2012 CTS
57 Posts
I noticed the same on my car. It feels more like torque limiting instead of slipping, where the throttle almost closes, before the shift. You can feel it lay over, then shift.

It annoys me. If I accelerate harder it feels normal or put it in sport mode, it does improve it slightly, but it is still there.
The sport mode seems more aggressive as you get deeper into the throttle, but it still lame compared to most automatics in performance cars.

As far as the performance mode affecting mileage, it does nothing that I can detect, other than firming up shifts slightly.
At light throttle, it still shifts normally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts