Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had just gotten done playing NFS Most Wanted Black Edition and needed to run to the supermarket to grab some dinner. The game gets me pumped up for some reason. Like with swimming after you eat, I should wait 30 mins before I drive. But I didn't.

I got said groceries and headed home. There's a couple of intersections where they've added a third lane just before and just after the lights to cram more cars in during rush hour. During light traffic times, the lanes are simply known as the 'f-you lanes'. They're the lanes people take in order to blow off the traffic in the the left 2 travel lanes. I was in an 'f-you' kind of mood.

I saw a VW Jetta VR6, lowered with rims and fart can, weaving in and out of the light traffic. I wanted to play, too. I finally caught up to him at one of the aforementioned lights. Trouble is he was second back. No one was in the 'f-you' lane. I took it. This f-you lane is on the right and ends about 1/8th mile up where it merges with the middle lane. About 1/4 mile up I need to bear left. So, I'm sitting in the far right lane needing to go far left. I look over and there's the SLK 230 Kompressor. Some guy and his SO. I knew it was on, if only because everyone knows about the 'f-you' lane and what it means when someone rolls up next to you in said lane.

Light goes green he dumps the clutch and bogs. The DTS spins on the wet pavement. The overaggressive trac control kicks in and slows me down - we're side by side. I gained a little with each shift he made. It seemed like an eternity but eventually the end of the f-you lane was approaching and I began to pull on him pretty hard. I look down at the MPH and I saw the 300 HP cams were in their sweet spot. I had enough room to merge in front when the lane ended. But then there was the matter of getting over to the left lane to exit. He was still in it and so was I. He cut to the left lane as if he was going to pass, though I'm not sure what magic he thought he was going to pull out of his butt in order to make that happen. I was still pulling pretty hard. I had plenty of room to cut to the left lane, too, and made the exit without incident (though at nearly double the speed limit).

It was awesome. I don't get to smack much down with the DTS but it's fun when I can.

Jim

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I did something like that once....

Last summer, me and my friends were out driving around in the deVille around 1130 at night. And im going to drop my friend Kevin off at his house, and we get to this part of the street where two lanes merge into one, and theres this Dodge Charger Turbo from the '80s in the left lane, doing about 30 in a 45, so I'm coming down doing about 50 in a 45, and I wanna pass this "Charger" :histeric: so I flew by him at about 60 and cut him off, then turned into the first street on the right side.

I felt like an ******* for cutting this guy off, but it was fun... kinda..

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
davesdeville said:
See there's just something about a Deville smacking down a blown Benz...
Yeah, that's the coolest part. They are exact opposites. Huge white 4-door sedan vs. tiny black roadster. I'm sure the guy never expected it. He looked over at first, but when he realized I was staying next to him - and gaining ground - he got this constipated look and concentrated on his shifting.

I was shocked that I edged him out, but then I looked them up. They are pretty slow by blown-Benz standards. They're verrrrry slightly better on paper than the DTS. He had the weight of an extra passenger and I had whatever advantage the Corsa gives me (20 HP on the dyno they say).

A better launch would've given me a more decisive victory, but it was a win no matter how you look at it.

Jim

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Congrats Jim. Must admit, I try not to use those lanes myself because I know how much it pisses me off when others do. Matter of fact, I LOVE laying a smack-down on guys that use them. Around here, guys in the city (Trenton) use the shoulder lane for that kind of thing at traffic lights. It's one of my favorite things when I end up side by side with someone getting ready to try to jump ahead at a light. They NEVER expect my Caddy to launch like it does! Between the noise of the tires and the exhaust it usually scares them! ;)

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
ha ha boy do i miss rear wheel drive, i think mayb ill start driving my Trans AM around again lol

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Katshot said:
Congrats Jim. Must admit, I try not to use those lanes myself because I know how much it pisses me off when others do. Matter of fact, I LOVE laying a smack-down on guys that use them.
I try not to use them either. I was really trying to bait the VW but he didn't take it. I usually take the middle lane so I can run whoever takes the f-you lane. Doesn't matter what it is, I'll run it.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts