Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to remove the shade without taking the whole headliner apart? The material is coming down. I need to recover it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:yeah:remove both front seats, remove grab handles, overhead console, visors, pillar trim, sail panels. Pull it down (held with several magnets, disconnect harness at left rear C pillar, remove through front passenger door (steering wheel is in the way on drivers side). Have AT LEAST one helper, the headliner is made of eggshells. The track for the shade/ glass is bolted to the roof.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Do you mean the sliding cover for the moon roof?

If so, you DO NOT have to remove the headliner!!!

Reply if you want instructions and haven't already pulled the headliner.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think we're talking about the same thing. The sliding fabric cover below the glass moonroof. I haven't taken it off yet, I have an expansion tank and a power steering pump to replace first.

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
140 Posts

You have instructions how to do this, but you don't want them public? My moonroof cover is sagging also, and I'd like to repair it, but I don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the headliner. My roommate did it a while back and he said it was feasible, but no fun.

Jamie

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
You have instructions how to do this, but you don't want them public? My moonroof cover is sagging also, and I'd like to repair it, but I don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the headliner. My roommate did it a while back and he said it was feasible, but no fun.

Jamie
Patience my friend. Just got back from a 10-week overseas holiday and I have lots of things to do.

The instructions come from the '99 factory service manual:

1) Remove sunroof glass panel. Raise to vent position, remove two screws from each side, lift off panel.

2) Remove two fasteners from the sunshade drip channel. (Drip channel at the rear, one fastener on each side.)

3) Remove the drip channel.

4) Slide sunshade fully forward.

5) Push the spring retainer clips on the right side of the sunshade inward to disengage them from the track using an upwards lifting motion. The spring retainer clips are the center of black plastic rectangles. A small slotted screwdriver works fine to push them in and lift up.

6) Remove the sunshade.

You'll probably find that the foam backing of the fabric is mainly disintegrated. I repaired mine by completely removing the fabric scraping off as much of the backing as possible. Then a soak in hot water and a few trips through the washing machine with hot water. I found some stuff called "baby dry" at a fabric store and used it to replace the foam. You have to use spray adhesive to attach it to the fabric before securing it to the shade with spray adhesive.

The fabric is extremely durable but stretchy. Make sure you have it in proper shape before gluing on the backing and trimming the backing. The worst part of the job was removing the remaining foam from both the fabric and the shade body.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, this job was easy! i already have it recovered and back in. If anyone wants to make a "how to" on this, the 4 moonroof screws are T25 torx and the 2 drip channel screws are #1 phillips

·
Registered
Eldorado 4.5 88' & STS 4.6 N* 01'
165 Posts
hi,I have problem with my headliner,I have on ready remove and is breaking,I mean the board.I would like replacment material but How I can replace board or repair?
Some said this is made from eggshells?

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS
1,277 Posts
It's just brittle - breaks easily. If yours is already broken... well, that's not good. You can try fiberglassing the back (remove the fabric first!)

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are very weak around the moonroof cutouts. Removing a headliner is at least a 2 person job

·
Registered
2001 STS 28 k miles,2006 escalade ,2005 deville dts
532 Posts
so to replace the sliding sunshade cover could be done without taking the headliner off

·
1998 Deville
8 Posts
I
:yeah:remove both front seats, remove grab handles, overhead console, visors, pillar trim, sail panels. Pull it down (held with several magnets, disconnect harness at left rear C pillar, remove through front passenger door (steering wheel is in the way on drivers side). Have AT LEAST one helper, the headliner is made of eggshells. The track for the shade/ glass is bolted to the roof.
Is 1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours the same. Thank you. I was under the impression that you vent the glass and removed the 3 screws on the track that holds the sunroof after removing the 6 screw's gently remove the sunroof. Then the Shade will have slide guilds bolted to the shade. Remove the screw's and the shade removes. Correct me if I am wrong. It is a aftermarket Webasto sunroof. Thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts