Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Escalade AWD Std
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I'm about done with my little project, I thought I'd post a couple pics. Since Armando has the STSi replica, I couldn't exactly go that route.

So....here's my "R" version. Oh yeah, and that mesh grille was one giant pain in the ass!!!
I'd like opinions on whether or not I should shoot the hood black?

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
So what exactly makes it 'R' ? Does the badge add 15 HP? Or is that accomplished by the downforce and lower CD your new curb catcher gives you?

Sorry to be a prick dude but there's nothing 'R-ace' about a FWD 4000 lb 4-speed automatic sedan with leather interrior. Doesn't matter how low a profile tire you slap on it, exhaust, or mesh, that R badge just makes you look like a friggin tool, plain and simple. Do yourself a favor, paint the front bumper (which is nice in and of itself) to match your car, shed the stupid mesh (or keep it and remove the regular grill, both is ridiculous), for God's sake remove that damn R badge you got off a Sentra, and dump your car bra. Painting your Hood black will just make you look like more of a poseur...

And for future reference you should never post your own cars license plate on a public open forum, you're asking for trouble...

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
Yea, the front doesn't look too bad, but get rid of the bra, and remove the R badge. Cadillac>anything "R". Paint the bumper and grille, get rid of the cloth top (person opinion) and remove the badge and it'd be an awesome car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
mgturbo, Where have you been for the last month ????? Look up all threads/posts by ArmandP. STSi update type threads.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
Why would you paint the hood black? are you attempting to create a race stripe look :cookoo:? why not paint the bumber to match the car that would look almost good..

And yeah get the sentra R off of that cadillac :tisk:.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
It's your time, your money, and you're the one who has to drive it... so you're the only one who has to like it.

Personally, I think it's all a bit much - not to mention a rolling contradiction.

It's not a racer (nor ricer) and it was never meant to be one... It was built to be a touring sedan, nothing more, nothing less. As such, one should never put a badge from a Honda Civic (not a Sentra) on a Cadillac - the "R" does nothing but cheapen what is a great car in and of itself. The new bumper should definitely be painted to match the rest of the car, I wouldn't even think of having the hood painted a different color, and having both the stock and mesh grill is redundant. Nor is the rear spoiler particularly fitting on a Seville either.

A new set of wheels is one thing, but beyond that none of it really fits with the character of the car... and especially with the carriage roof it all just looks, well... kinda silly.

But that's just me... It's no secret that I tend to lean towards the discretion of the designers by keeping things as stock as possible and letting the original design stand on its own merits.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
First off, to answer the question, they are late 00 CTS/STS polished alum stock 18s (w 235 50 18s), and are exactly what I was going for! I thank ebay for that coming together as quick as it did.

Guess I can take that....that some of you purists don't like the "R" logo. What can I say...I thought that might be a little different, saw the letter on ebay, and went for it. Someone had it right tho when they wrote "it's your money, do what makes you happy", so I did. I thought it was a unique touch so fire me! =)

Raze...thank you for your opinion. Some valid points that I will consider. Keep in mind tho that one's idea of just what exactly a "poser" or "tool" is varies from person to person. And yes, you were a PRICK, but this is a friendly forum so I'll digress and we'll just press on.

Wanted to end with this thought tonight. I DID NOT build/create a ricer! Have you seen the pics of the STSi? In my opinion, that is the crown jewel of our 98-04 STSs, and I created my own version of that car.

Oh, and by the way, if you didn't catch it, my TX licence tag # is 975 LJG.
Go forth and conquer the world with that newly acquired information!

Slay

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
30 Posts
Raze is right about the license plate. My brother is a cop and with one call I could have him run your info. I would have your s/s# and address and criminal history. With that info I could steal your identity.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, how very disheartining this forum has been this evening.

#1. I AM law enforcement, and yes we can pull up that info on the database. But if our brother calls us up and says "hey man, can you look up a SSN from a tag I got today on Cadillac Forum", then I ask him if he's smokin crack?

#2. Two words LIFE LOCK.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
31 Posts
"Oh, and by the way, if you didn't catch it, my TX licence tag # is 975 LJG.
Go forth and conquer the world with that newly acquired information!" :thumbsup:
Yay Slay! Too much fear in the world today, man!

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
170 Posts
the mesh looks fine. probably restricts flow to the radiator slightly but its most likely no big deal.

the car would look much better with the bumper cover painted to match the car.

the wheels are ok looking. theyre not ugly.

the bra on the car is just for protection. you should probably only worry about using it for long trips. it doesnt do much good in town unless you follow dump trucks and cement mixers.

the wing on the back looks ok. seems to follow the cars body lines well enough. good idea here.

now...on to the (in)famous "R". it looks tacky and out of place on a Cadillac. Caddy never had an R line. the font and font size is different from the STS font. the problem here is that even non car oriented people know that your ebay "R" is a fake. it looks as cheap as it does fake too. theres so much wrong here i cant understand how you thought it would be right to use it to begin with.

my opinion, do yourself a favor and lose the "R" badge before you have to pull yourself over and give yourself a ticket for being a failure and being stupid in a no stupid zone. your car has potential. dont ruin it. please dear god i hope i dont run in to you around town because if i do, ill make sure to roll down my window so you can see me visibly laughing at you. then ill take a pic of your car with a bug thumbs down in the frame. :(

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
The man has rights to do what he wants to his own car. He wants his Caddy to stand out, and it does. People come to this forum for advice, not to be shot...

With all do respect Slay, the bumper looks great, the soft top isn't bad at all, but all the black on the front isn't working for some of us. It's totally up to you- but if you wanted to keep the black, is there a way you could do a two-tone for the whole car, like fade the bottom of that new bumper into black and bring that black around the whole car? I'm not sure how this would look...just an idea.... but a single color would probably work the best.

The problem with the type R thing, is that everyone does it, and it began on an import. Now, "Mallett" or "Lingenfelter" or "STSi", "AMG" for the Benz crowd, "Roush", "Cobra" names like that, they prove something. They're modified and nowhere near stock. To change the name of the car (add a performance "R" or "i" or anything like that) it needs substancial underhood modifications to back it up. "V" comes to mind, but the only way I'd slap those badges on my STS is if I actually had a blower on it already, and then even....no. You want people to fear the name extension. "V"- holy $h!t, that car must be deadly fast..., they're supercharged and have 469 HP". See what I'm getting at? "R"? - The car that came off of probably had a 1.xxx liter engine to start with, you already have a 4.6 DOHC V8 pumping out 300 ponies...." Throw a Chuck Mallett signature badge on the front fenders, you'll get people talking. But it better have been his company doing the modifications then. And people don't modify these FWD cars.

Your car looks good man, it really does, just don't lose the "Caddy" look. IMO, with all that black, that "look" is fading.

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Congratulations Slay, I can appreciate your work and money spent. No doubt a great deal of effort on your part to accomplish all this. I think your car looks special in more than one way!

Some of the guys have been a bit harsh in their comments but just take it for what it's worth as it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish!

Finally, thank you for purchasing my bumper and posted comments about your experience with installation process. I'd like your permission to post pictures of your car in our website. I think it would be interesting to show every single STS featuring the Le Mans bumper as we sell them.

ArmandP

·
Registered
2001 SLS, 1997 STS, 71 Eldo
76 Posts
Its unique slay, and that's what makes it great, It doesn't look like every other Caddy out there, you took your own take on things and made it work. Congrats

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good comments about the "R" logo.....and really great info about the "why" behind it all.
I did think long and hard about including it with what I had ultimately put together (even toyed with a hood scoop that I had a GREAT laugh at when I tried to pull it off). But what really made me pull the trigger is the fact that the logo itself actually matches the red pinstripe that came stock on the car.

Here's a list my top 5 upgrades (not to bore anyone out there):

Corsa Dual Exhaust System
R1 concept slotted rotors with ceramics all around
18" sport wheels.
Front Facia
Rear Spoiler

If those additions don't at least constitute a "sport package", don't know what does!
Bottom line, if my ride is truly a "rolling contradiction" now, then I guess I'll just keep living my life in a bubble, I kind of like it here!

Out!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts