Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just bought a '98 STS a few weeks ago with 107k. I love it. It's in great condition for the mileage. The only problem I didn't catch is that the rear end sits pretty low. I've read through a lot of the posts on the issue, and I've figured out that I'm not alone, but my problem may be a little bit unique.

The passenger side is sitting at about 15 1/4" from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well and has some pretty good bounce if I push down on that side of the car. The driver's side is sitting just under 15" and has very little give to it if I push down on it. I'm pretty sure the air ride height is shot on the shocks on both sides, but that doesn't explain the zero give on the driver's side, does it? Could it be the springs on that side? What should my ride height be?

This is an awesome site. I've already fixed several little glitches based on the info found here.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Sounds like a spring is broken. It could also be the ride height sensors are misaligned. Take it to the dealer for a "diagnosis/estimate." They charge me $50 for doing that, then I order all the parts for cheap and do the work myself (or take it to a reputable shop to do the work). At least with their diagnosis it's not hit or miss. If the ride height is different on each side of the rear, it will hop over bumps--which is anywhere from annoying to startling.

Is it pulling up codes? It should.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a check engine light, but I did have some stored codes, none of which seemed to pertain to my problem. U1255, U1064, U1128, B2241, B1652, and P1376. I guess I'm going to have to take your suggestion and visit the Cadillac Dealer.

Just in case some of this rings a bell for someone, I'm going to describe a few more things about it. I'm pretty sure the compressor is pumping properly because it cycles after I turn on the ignition, and I can hear air escape from the shocks after it does. (Like I said, the boots around the shocks look shot.) Another interesting tidbit. I jacked up the passenger side of the car and the shock telescoped while I jacked it up. When I let it back down, both driver and passenger sides seemed to be sitting at the proper height. I can hear air escaping though, so I'm sure it will be back down where it was in the morning, although it seems to be a very slow leak. Also, the shocks seem extremely stiff. I couldn't hardly get the rear end to move up and down, even with the key in the on positon. The springs don't look broken, although they could be weak.

I also tried disconnecting the height sensors and putting the arm in a "weighted" postion. I waited for a few minutes, and nothing happened. I also tried putting them in the "too high" position, and nothing happened. I tried it with the key in the on position, and also with the car running. I also tried sitting on the trunk for a couple of minutes after I reconnected them. It should work with the key just in the on position and without the car running, right?

We'll see what the Dealer has to say about this, besides asking for my first born child as payment for the service when all is said and done.:ill:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts