Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Huge Howard fan here. I really want Sirrus Radio so i can listen to Stern every morning like i used to before they cut his show off the air. I remember when i bought the CTS the dealer offered XM. i declined at the time. Im aware that XM is Sirrus compitition. But is there a Cadillac installed reciever available from the dealer? Or do i have to buy the annoying ugly lount radio and have that installed? please help out!

thanks!
Drozz:eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Re: Sirrus Radio?

Wouldn't that be nice. When i joined a few months back a guy named "DanDan" was working on a solution, i believe just like the aftermarket xm kit. Havent heard anything since.

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS MT
404 Posts

get a reciever and a nice mounting bracket. check pro fit international for the vsm mount. its not bad ill include a picture, ive actiually moved it up to next to the tune knob and its very non intrusive. if you want sirius this is the way to go with a transportable unit like this. btw its sirius, like serious...:spin:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

newton said:
get a reciever and a nice mounting bracket. check pro fit international for the vsm mount. its not bad ill include a picture, ive actiually moved it up to next to the tune knob and its very non intrusive. if you want sirius this is the way to go with a transportable unit like this. btw its sirius, like serious...
Hey...is that what I think that is in your ashtray compartment? Does your Sirrus give you a serious buzz?

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts

SoCadillac said:
Hey...is that what I think that is in your ashtray compartment? Does your Sirrus give you a serious buzz?
LOL. Yup, I see it too! :lildevil:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts

drozz said:
Im aware that XM is Sirrus compitition. But is there a Cadillac installed reciever available from the dealer? Or do i have to buy the annoying ugly lount radio and have that installed? please help out!
It's more than XM being serious competition to Sirius . . . . GM is a large stakeholder to Sirius so there's no way they're going to offer it. When one orders XM with the CTS, it comes integrated at the factory, and the only option for adding it later is an external mounted unit, or the "Radios and More" integrated solution.

For now, there are plenty of externally mounted options for Sirius. Even if someone does offer a hardware hack for a Sirius tuner to Class2 adapter, the menu's on the radio will still say 'XM' since that's hardcoded in the radio. I don't know how long it will take someone to hack something together for an integrated solution though.

I have no allegiance to either XM or Sirius, but I do like commercial free music, and whoever offers it for the CTS has my $$$ (I installed the Radio's and More XM kit). I'm not a Stern fan, so that won't sway me to switch.

·
Registered
11 CTS Sport Coupe, 2000 Carrera GT3, 2013 Jetta
86 Posts

Well I just signed up for Sirius USA, (you need a friend in the US) as the Canadian Sirius has banned Howard. I installed it in my Taurus wagon on Monday and while I hate the make shift install, it will have to do for now.

I'm going to see if I can get an extra antenna and power cord so when I'm using the CTS I can listen to Sirius. I have the SV1 model radio and use a velcro mount - no need for any brackets - just pull it off and go.

I hate the antenna design - it's magnetic with a short 6 inch plastic strip (double sided tape under the plastic strip) that the wire fits in before it goes down into the seam of the back hatch of the wagon. In the CTS I'll just stick it on the trunk lid without the plastic strip and then through the backseats. The mag power is strong enough to hold the little 2 inch sq antenna anyway, although I haven't done the 270KPH wind test yet... :)

I wish that GM wouldn't be so anal and allow Sirius on their radio's but I understand their wish to also kill off Sirius as a corporate goal, (they own part of XM radio).

Check out the vehicle partners that Sirius has as factory install equipment at

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1019257316845

GM will be the loser here as some buyers may choose another brand on them.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
69 Posts

I already had a Sirius when I bought my CTS. I was trying to decide where to mount it and realized the bin under the console armrest would be the perfect spot. It is hidden but readily accessible to change stations when I feel the need.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Several aftermarket stereo companies make kits for cars for Sirius radio. Kenwood has a nice portable (or docking system as they call it) to go from your car to your house, or too other cars. You can mount it anywhere pretty much and its easy to work. I've used Kenwood my whole life, and I love Sirius radio, so its all good.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Put Sirius in my '04 about 1 week after getting it...used the Sirius under dash kit with a corded display (that also can receive infrared from a remote included) ... I installed the module under the drivers side dash, and the corded display I ran into the storage area under the arm rest.

Works out really well ... not in sight when i don't want to see it, allows me to browse while driving easily, and my Wife can do the browsing as well while I'm killing off Mitsubishi's, err, I mean driving responsibly (smirk).

Right now I'm using the FM bypass module... but I'm thinking of getting the ipod-to-xm kit mentioned in these forums and see if I can't rig them together.

I'll take some pix and post them if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts

Does anyone know if GM's contract with XM has an expiration date???

I'd be curious to know if Sirius will ever be an option in GM cars (i.e., 2, 3 or 5 years from now).

I can't imagine GM signing an exclusive, permanent contract with XM, but then again, we're talking about GM...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts

GM is a shareholder. They don't just have a contract. Unless XM goes under, GM will be a large investor and likely won't offer Sirius. They'll get MP3 capability and Bluetooth in their radios before they offer Sirius.

Sirius strategic partners are Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda/Jaguar, Mercedes Benz/Chrysler/Jeep, BMW, Porsche/Audi/VW, Toyota, etc. XM has GM, Honda, Saab, etc. They both split alliances with aftermarket auto radio manufacturers. Some aftermarket radios offer connectivity to both.

·
Registered
15 Posts

To my knowledge, none of the Connect products will work with CTS... in fact, CTS is prolly the only one that it doesn't work with.

Let me rephrase that: I used a Connect product, but it was the generic FM modulator model.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts

There will be a serius kit for the CTS that will work just like the factory XM in a few weeks... (I guess everyone is at CES now- me included)...

someone e-mail me in 3 weeks and ask about it and I will check up on it... it will be plug and play behind the dash just like the XM kit from radiosandmore.com.

Reed

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts

ctsvett said:
There will be a serius kit for the CTS that will work just like the factory XM in a few weeks... (I guess everyone is at CES now- me included)...

someone e-mail me in 3 weeks and ask about it and I will check up on it... it will be plug and play behind the dash just like the XM kit from radiosandmore.com.

Reed
Hey Reed, I was there till Saturday.

·
Registered
CTS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

How much am i looking at to get the kit to actually have Sirrius? i was told by a local custom car store. that its very expensive. not sure if he was trying to work me into a sale or serious.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts