Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided the 3.6L engine cover needed a little splash of color. Red was my first thought, but decided to go with black to match the car. High heat black spray was used and applied with a very small/fine brush.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
That looks nice, but I wish that Cadillac had done the cover a bit more radical as in this case form does not follow function...it's just a hunk of plastic remiss of any Art & Science.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
Here is another simple under hood mod. It gives it more color under the hood.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
2004CTS said:
I like the blue wire casing!
Thanks. I still got to do some more casing changes from the factory black to the new blue. Its a bit time consuming to take out the original and put it the new.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
2004CTS said:
I decided the 3.6L engine cover needed a little splash of color. Red was my first thought, but decided to go with black to match the car. High heat black spray was used and applied with a very small/fine brush.

Looks real nice! Can't beat the price either!:D

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
i have some sort of rubbing on the lower left hand side of my engine cover, its worn through the paint, seems to be rubbing on the underside of the hood, anyway to fix this or how much is a replacement engine cover?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Kael said:
i have some sort of rubbing on the lower left hand side of my engine cover, its worn through the paint, seems to be rubbing on the underside of the hood, anyway to fix this or how much is a replacement engine cover?
That rubbing seems to be typical. Mines worn too. I'm wondering if the insulator can be indented to eliminate this.
You can get a new carbon fiber cover from Mr. Goodwrench for $900 Kael.:D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Kael said:
I had what appears to be the same, although it looked as if it wore through the edge, I took some polishing compound (NOT rubbing compound) and it came right off. The hood cover had simply rubbed its color off onto the engine cover. I am going to apply some 3M Scotchcal Paint Protective Film along the edge.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kael said:
Mine had a small area of black blemishes in the front center that appeared to be from the underhood blanket. I tried a damp cloth first and it worked fine - no damage to the paint/finish.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
damn that sucks

and yes mine has worn right through the freaking paint.

luckily the entire cover is pretty cheap from gm anyway

and 900!! bucks for a carbon fiber one!!

20 bucks says its just carbon fiber layered.

oh hell, i know why.

alright you guys may not know this stuff but I do.
you know that little war thing that the US has going on?
well it has caused a major shortage in carbon fiber, a lot of my regular suppliers simply didnt have any for a long time, so the stuff that was available was going for a high price. hence the price on the cover

also cadillac believes in "Exclusivity" of a product, so they will price it high so that no normal loser can afford it. gee great.

I think i can ahold of some more carbon fiber. i'll look around for a fabricator with soem knowledge of working with it and see if they can do a layering job to the stock engine cover.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Kael said:
damn that sucks

and yes mine has worn right through the freaking paint.

luckily the entire cover is pretty cheap from gm anyway

and 900!! bucks for a carbon fiber one!!

20 bucks says its just carbon fiber layered.

oh hell, i know why.

alright you guys may not know this stuff but I do.
you know that little war thing that the US has going on?
well it has caused a major shortage in carbon fiber, a lot of my regular suppliers simply didnt have any for a long time, so the stuff that was available was going for a high price. hence the price on the cover

also cadillac believes in "Exclusivity" of a product, so they will price it high so that no normal loser can afford it. gee great.

I think i can ahold of some more carbon fiber. i'll look around for a fabricator with soem knowledge of working with it and see if they can do a layering job to the stock engine cover.
I don't get it. IMO Cabon Fiber is rather ugly. Some of the Ricers do their whole hood with CF.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts