Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know one of you knows this, especially with all the burn out videos out there. On our Cateras, do both wheels turn on the rear end or is just one wheel supplying all the power to the car? Do our Cat's have a limited slip rear end or lack of a better term, a posi-rear end? Can someone please help the old and febble. : )

andergar

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
The LSD didn't make the trip across the Atlantic. It was available in Great Britain (Vauxhall) and Germany (Opel). Hunt eBay in those countries for one or explore their aftermarket for used/rebuilt units.

I can't verify this but the 2004 - 2006 Pontiac GTO might have a LSD we can use. Based on the Australian Holden Monaro its housing is different from the Catera's. The GTO unit won't mount to the Cat's rear suspension subframe but the LSD guts may fit the its diff housing. No guarantee though.

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elvin, need your help again on this rear diff. What models of car and spec's. am I looking for when I go searching on ebay for a limited slip diff? Thanks again for your help.

andergar

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The LSD was optional on the Vauxhall Omega MV6. The police version had them as standard. The Brits call them ex-Plods. I'd verify with the seller to be sure. Equivilent German Opels had different names so I can't advise you on those. According to the Vauxhall Owners Net:

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=822007&highlight=limited+slip+differential#post822007

"LSD was standard on manual MV6's, and the police spec cars. It was also part of the sport pack available for the manual Elite (which is very rare!)."

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone swapped out the OEM rearend diff. for a limited slip diff.? Elvin, I'm now confused with R-Caddy saying he can do two wheel burnouts? I'm so confused, please help an old monkey out. Anyone else doing two wheel burn outs?

andergar

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Has anyone swapped out the OEM rearend diff. for a limited slip diff.? Elvin, I'm now confused with R-Caddy saying he can do two wheel burnouts? I'm so confused, please help an old monkey out. Anyone else doing two wheel burn outs?

andergar
I'm just as confused. As far as I know the Catera never came with a LSD. To add to the confusion, I found a thread in Australia regarding the interchangeability of the Catera diff abd the Monaro/GTO diff. The pictures show the external differences, and their mountings. Here's another wild guess. Maybe the cover plate holes of the Catera and GTO diffs match. Then it might be possible to mount a GTO diff using a Catera diff cover. If that's true then the combo should mount into the Catera's mounting. No promises, just a big maybe.

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

Omega/Catera Rear Suspension

Catera Differential

Monaro/GTO Differential (on the left) Aftermarket (on the right)

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As always I appreciate all the info. I wonder, have you seen any threads on anyone swapping out oem rearend diffs with something else? I sure would like to hear more and see some "two" wheel burnouts from Catera owners. Time for me to search our forum. But, first a nap. : )

andergar

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
As always I appreciate all the info. I wonder, have you seen any threads on anyone swapping out oem rearend diffs with something else? I sure would like to hear more and see some "two" wheel burnouts from Catera owners.
Sorry but no. Seeing as the Catera has little in common with the rest of the GM USA line up (except the GTO) I don't know of any substitutes. The Saabs and Saturns that share the V6 with the Cat are FWD so there's no commonality with those drivetrains. The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are warmed over Opel GTs (2006+). I know absolutely nothing about them except that they are RWD so they have rear differentials. It uses an independent rear suspension so that means a stand alone diff versus a live axle and it has an available LSD. Whether it'll fit the Catera is anyone's guess. Anyone? The Saturn Vue shared some Opel parts and the V6 models had AWD so that's another avenue to explore. The only way to find out what fits is to visit the salvage yards with a flashlight and tape measure.

The only way I can think that the Catera would spin both wheels is if the Traction Control had a part to play. The TC is a function of the ABS. When the computer senses wheel spin it applies the brake at that wheel. Under slippery road conditions (wet or loose cover) and if the ABS/TC tried to limit slip, they may have conspired and allowed both wheels to spin briefly. Maybe.

One question I haven't asked.....why the LSD? are you planning a V8 too? Unless you plan on doing some racing I really don't see an advantage to a LSD in a stock Catera.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Omega Estate (wagon) LSD on eBay/Great Britain. Not pretty but it's what's inside that counts.:

click

I don't now what the final gear ratio is. You might ask on the Vauxhall Owners Net (Omega Owners Forum seems to be offline).
VxON

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
I thought that to do a two wheel burn out, just turn of the TCS....Works in the snow and gravel, I would assume it would work on pavement. Elvin, I though the TCS actually increased the speed of the wheel that was slipping, I could be wrong. Just did some 'homework' definately wrong.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Omega Estate (wagon) LSD on eBay/Great Britain. Not pretty but it's what's inside that counts.:

click

I don't now what the final gear ratio is. You might ask on the Vauxhall Owners Net (Omega Owners Forum seems to be offline).
VxON
CORRECTION: This diff is from a 5 speed Manual/V6 Saloon which is a sedan. Probably an MV6

·
Registered
484 Posts
As Elvin stated, the LSD was never offered in North America. The is no mention of it in the factory service manual, nor in the dealer parts database.

The GTO diff is essentially the same that GM was going to use in the V8 Omega. The internals are identical, the only difference being the cover and front mouting bracket. The V8 Omega diff was manufactured by Spicer in Australia in the same plant

The Omega/GTO diff is much wider than the stock Catera diff, so it requires shorter half-shaft. So swapping in a GTO diff would be a lot of work and money.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I thought that to do a two wheel burn out, just turn of the TCS....Works in the snow and gravel, I would assume it would work on pavement. Elvin, I though the TCS actually increased the speed of the wheel that was slipping, I could be wrong. Just did some 'homework' definately wrong.
You can't do a proper burnout with our open diffs.

The TCS will intermittently engage the caliper on the rear wheel that is slipping (only very briefly before disengaging and then briefly re-engaging), thus transferring power to the non-slipping wheel. This may help in snowy situations but will still not allow you to do a burnout.

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To answer your question elvin, I'm not doing a v8 swap. But I was always told that it better to have two wheels supplying power/torque to the road, than one. Any descent performance car has lsd or posi. I know our Cat's are not performance cars, but at the time when new and what they cost, you would think lsd would have been standard. Thanks again for all input.

andergar

1 - 17 of 17 Posts