Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 96 Sedan DeVille and the drivers side mirror is gold while the passanger mirror is normal? Is this a defect? Its kinda bothering me because it turns all the headlights really yellow. Do I just need to get a new mirror insert? Thanks James

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yeah Id get a new mirror... Check the junkyard and see if you could just get a whole new mirror assy...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wait for an answer from a Cadillac owner.

I was going to ask a question about the same situation, except I was wondering why my right mirror wasn't gold tinted.

Do you have a small button center bottom of the interior rear view mirror?

Does it push up when pressed straight up gently??

Is there a small dim greenish glow when the button is depressed (up)??

If so - your Caddy has something called a photochromatic mirrors.

That is, they automatically dim, by a photochromatic system, when headlights appear from behind you..

If you replace the left assembly -you lose a valuable option.

Tonight, I discovered the button, and then I noticed that my left outside rear view mirror dimmed also.

I've only had my 94 Deville (Pink Panther) for 4 days and loving it more each day.

I am looking for an owner's manual for my 94 deville, in order to discover all the wonderful hidden goodies this car has...

·
Registered
581 Posts
95 Sedan DeVille. Mine has the gold driver side mirror too.
And navigator side is silver.

I thought it was cool. But you are right, because the light
appears on the interior mirror that is silver is different when
on the driver side mirror, I sometimes get confused like "Is
this yellowish light the same one I just saw in the interior
mirror?"

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a car that had dimming outside mirrors. When he had it for a test drive one of them had black blotches all over the place. I think the lot he bought the car from just stuck a normal replacement mirror ontop of it because the mirror itself on that side sticks out a bit further then the other side does. If there is something wrong with yours maybe you can find a place to replace it somewhere. or like Wes said you can try to get one from a junk yard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Side Mirror

The side mirror is photochromatic (unadjustable tint). This means that it is manufactured with a "gold" light absorbing coating on it. Unlike the rearview mirror inside the car which is electrochromatic (electronically tints when a light source hits it); the coating on the side mirror puts the mirror in a permanant dimming mode (it's cheaper that way). The passenger side is a standard mirror, nothing fancy, because it is not intended to be directed into the drivers eyes. The 95 Concours and all Cadillacs beginning in 97 switched to an electrochromatic side mirror to eliminate the "gold" appearance and create a "standard" reflection during the day time. You cannot put a newer electrochromatic mirror in place of your photochromatic one, the supporting electronics don't exist on your model. I'd just leave it alone and enjoy its function at night when a big 4x4 puts its lights on you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pink panther said:
Wait for an answer from a Cadillac owner.

I was going to ask a question about the same situation, except I was wondering why my right mirror wasn't gold tinted.

Do you have a small button center bottom of the interior rear view mirror?

Does it push up when pressed straight up gently??

Is there a small dim greenish glow when the button is depressed (up)??

If so - your Caddy has something called a photochromatic mirrors.

That is, they automatically dim, by a photochromatic system, when headlights appear from behind you..

If you replace the left assembly -you lose a valuable option.

Tonight, I discovered the button, and then I noticed that my left outside rear view mirror dimmed also.

I've only had my 94 Deville (Pink Panther) for 4 days and loving it more each day.

I am looking for an owner's manual for my 94 deville, in order to discover all the wonderful hidden goodies this car has...
Check ebay for the owners manual, they are usually all over the place on there. As far as my photochomatic mirror on the inside I already knew how that worked but I just dont understand why my drivers mirror is gold while the passanger mirror is silver? Is that just how they make it? I mean I guess it helps with the light a little but I wish It wasnt gold all the time. Thanks for all the help, James

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Side Mirror

Slick Black Cadillac said:
The side mirror is photochromatic (unadjustable tint). This means that it is manufactured with a "gold" light absorbing coating on it. Unlike the rearview mirror inside the car which is electrochromatic (electronically tints when a light source hits it); the coating on the side mirror puts the mirror in a permanant dimming mode (it's cheaper that way). The passenger side is a standard mirror, nothing fancy, because it is not intended to be directed into the drivers eyes. The 95 Concours and all Cadillacs beginning in 97 switched to an electrochromatic side mirror to eliminate the "gold" appearance and create a "standard" reflection during the day time. You cannot put a newer electrochromatic mirror in place of your photochromatic one, the supporting electronics don't exist on your model. I'd just leave it alone and enjoy its function at night when a big 4x4 puts its lights on you.
James, Read This Again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Slick Black Cadillac