Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Brougham 5.7L
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backing out of the garage today, my driver-side mirror clipped the wall and now is a little loose. I can twist it back and forth, but not from the base where it attaches to the door, but just the top square part. How can I fix this? I noticed a little hole at the bottom.....any relation??

Thanks again

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
I have no clue what that hole is for. Maybe drainage or something.

I just checked the old mirror I took off my car when it was broken and I can see that the top part connects to the base via a couple of screws from the inside. The only way to get at them would be to take out the mirror glass, and the only way to do that is to break it and then replace it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Cadillac Giovanni...........I hope there is a way to do this without breaking the mirror or anything................anyone know any other way????

J

·
0 Posts
The driver's mirror on my meticulously kept '76 Coupe has the SAME problem. I shakes like crazy when you close the door...ticks me off. :tisk: I moved the mirror out as far as I can see and saw the screws that attach the top to the base...but how to get in there with a screwdriver is a story I have yet to write! There is more than one way to skin a cat, I am sure.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
I had the same problem. This is what you do:

If youre looking at the mirror, press the lower left hand corner of the mirror all the way in,until you can see behind it looking from the upper right hand side. You will see a flat-head screw. If you have a long flat head screw driver you can just tighten it right up. It sounds simple,and it is.Just re-adjust your mirror.

This is how it is in my '85,and i assume the '92 is the same,as it has the same mirrors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jonas McFeely, thank you for the reply. You have guided me the right way. I see the screw now, but MAN is it hard to get to!! I can't see the type of head the screw has. Is there any other way, like maybe removing the mirror or something, or do I need to get a LONG thin correct screw driver and try again?

Thanks again

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
The truth has been spoken.

According to the service manual for my 1989 Brougham, the only way to get the mirror glass out is by breaking it.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The screws on my 77 are phillips heads. My mirrors had the same problem (top part slightly loose). Searched around and found a phillips screwdriver shaped like an allen wrench (looks like an "L"). Worked great to tighten up the mirror housing. BTW, the mirror itself is held into its housing by two small screws. These hold the base of the stand (on which the mirror pivots on a ball joint) to the part of the housing that faces forward.

Good luck finding that screwdriver. Had to go to a couple small hardware stores before I found one.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Jonas McFeely, thank you for the reply. You have guided me the right way. I see the screw now, but MAN is it hard to get to!! I can't see the type of head the screw has. Is there any other way, like maybe removing the mirror or something, or do I need to get a LONG thin correct screw driver and try again?

Thanks again
Hmm, i remember it being a bit hard to get to,but not that bad. Screw driver shouldnt be more than 6 or 7 inches. Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts