Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Fleetwood
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I remember the side emblems would cast a light at night time but it went away. I've always thought that maybe I had to change the bulbs. Has anyone done this? I couldn't figure out how to acess it until I just tried and pulled it out.

Anyone know how to take it apart, or what these lights are really called so I can search for it?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Deville, 06 DTS Performance
140 Posts
didn't know they were lights..i heard they were glow in the dark type things. only seen them on a 91

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
There are no light bulbs inside. They use electroluminescent paper (yes, it really is paper). It is very common for these to go out. They have a short life span to begin with and constant expose to sunlight will make the die out even faster. The only way to replace them is to either find some good ones or cut into the old ones and somehow get an LED in there. FYI, these run on 110V AC (there is an inverter in the trunk) so be sure they are off before you start poking around.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
I just have no life and spend all my time on the internet. :D

I went through the same issue while looking for the opera lights for my Fleetwood. They are made of the same electroluminescent paper were very hard to find due to the rarity of the car. I got lucky and met a guy who just happened to have a brand new set that had been sitting in his garage in a box since 1988. He gave them to me for free, all he asked me to do was make a donation to Children's Memorial Hospital.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts