Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the cause of codes P0008 & 17 be covered under the 100Kmi powertrain warranty?

According to the manual P0008 sets when the ECM detects that both cams on bank 1 are mis-aligned with the crankshaft and P0017 is also cam related in bank 1. The presence of both of these codes together indicates a possible condition with the primary timing chain and the alignment between both intermediate sprockets and the crankshaft. Or the crankshaft reluctor wheel has moved and is no longer referenced to TDC.

Would this be covered under the factory warranty? Would the dealer find a way out of repairing it by saying for example that it wasn't maintained properly? Since I just bought it I have no service records. Could this be a lack of maintenance related issue at all if they were to bring it up? Also can they tell what type of oil it has used, conventional or synthetic?

·
Registered
Red 08 CTS4 3.6DI
114 Posts
Re: Should the cause of codes P0008 & 17 be covered under the 100Kmi powertrain warra

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

a) yes, it is covered under warranty (only 3 years here in Europe)
b) it has nothing to do with maintenance as these parts are maintenance free
c) yes, an oil probe can be taken and with a small analysis you can determine what kind of oil it currently is.

As long I understand the design of these particular engines correctly, the parts of the timing chain are not in contact with the engine oil.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Should the cause of codes P0008 & 17 be covered under the 100Kmi powertrain warra

I haven’t read the warranty fully but my first concern is that only internally lubricated parts would be covered and I'm not sure if that applies. Second is I don't know if synthetic oil is in the car and if they find it's not that would be cause to void the warranty.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts

Anything with the timing chain will be covered by warranty. There's no maintenance that can be done. Also, if one dealer denies you just go to another. You'll almost always find one that'll take care of what you need under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts

IMO, this should be covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Banned
07 CTS
34 Posts

Thats all i need to know!! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts

Timing chains are covered by warranty. However, my concer is the maintenance or lack of it. If the previous owner did not use synthetic oil and did not follow proper oil change intervals you may have a problem with sludge build up that caused timing chains problems. In that case the warranty may be void....hope not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just be aware that if the engine has sludge and you have no proof of regular synthetic oil changes, there is a good chance it won't be covered. Been there done that.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II
335 Posts

I think it should be fine, with the other post around here There was a bad batch of timing chains, the dealer probably all ready has seen a few.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I think it should be fine, with the other post around here There was a bad batch of timing chains, the dealer probably all ready has seen a few.
Doesn't matter how many the dealer has seen, if they pull the valve covers and find this:

you're screwed.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts

As I said before - if there is sludge in the engine he may have hard time with the dealer...

·
Registered
Own none....But drive about 20 different ones every week!
25 Posts

The big thing here is proof of maintenance. The camshaft actuator can see problems if the vehicle is ran low on oil for an extended period of time. This is not something the dealer would be able to prove though. In my opinion this should be a covered component under the 5/100 (or 5/160 in Canada) GM powertrain warranty unless the engine is full of sludge as atikovi has shown.

The chains have probably stretched and this is what has set your P0008 and P0017 codes.

I would say, go see the dealer, explain that you are willing to cover the time
required for them to pull the valve covers and inspect to see the condition
of the the upper head area for sludge, and if determined not a maintenance concern, warranty will apply and no $$$ to you for the repairs required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts