Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLS 1997
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Back again. Still fixing/improving my car step by step. Was cleaning my EGR valve yesterday when I came across something I wanted to ask you guys.

Since I know the problems a bad coolant can cause I was wondering if the corrosion on this pipe which comes from the coolant reservoir.

Hope you guys can help me. The previous owner told me had used a special coolant because of the aluminum so I'm hoping it's nothing too bad.

By the way I also checked the over pressurization relief valve and it looks kinda oily. Now I know I drove a while with a lot of extra oil, could this be the cause?

Thanks again you guys.

Otto

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
It's a (cheaply) painted steel pipe. Rust is caused by water, road salt, atmospheric contaminants. Wire brush it, apply Rustoleum rust converter, then semi-gloss black spray paint. Old rags for masking.

·
Registered
SLS 1997
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pfew, nice to hear. Thought it could come from the inside.

Thanks again for all your advice submariner409. Much appreciated!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
That's the coolant purge line, a constant bleed from the engine system high point - it always pisses a steady stream of coolant back to the airspace over the coolant in the pressurized surge tank in order to remove air and gases from the coolant - so the water pump always sees "solid" coolant, no bubbles.

Those purge lines made from pipe, plastic pipe and rubber have a habit of clogging, which causes overheating. If you get the urge, replace the whole thing, rubber and pipe, with a single length of proper sized reinforced fuel line from any large parts store or a NAPA. Much cleaner looking.

·
Registered
SLS 1997
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, might do that later on :). First I need to address the other problems (vacuum leak and leaking oil filter housing).

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Yeah, that rust is just surface rust. Paint it with this stuff. It works very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts