Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS Premium - Phantom Gray / Morello Red - 18,250 mi.
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma:
I have an '04 CTS and I plan on getting a next-gen CTS (either an 08 or an 09). Since I may buy used, I could be waiting another year or more before pulling the trigger. With that said, will my 04's trade-in value suffer over the next year or so, due to the 2nd Gen's coming out?

In the midst of my worry, here's what I was thinking (whether right or wrong):
If my 04 will depreciate faster now, perhaps getting an 07 help me out because even though it's 1st-gen styling, it's so much newer that resale and/or trade-in value won't be affected as much as the '04. By moving to a new 07, I may be able to get a great deal, since the 08's are arriving. Also, with an 07, I can more comfortably wait a year or more for the next-gen CTS (still have a warranty, etc.). I could possibly wait out the arrival of the CTS Convertible? ;) hehe.

Anyway, is my reasoning right, or am I way off-base? Am I worrying too much about the trade-in value of my '04? Do I need to dump the '04 ASAP? What are your thoughts and/or experience on the matter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 SRX Premium
162 Posts
Your car is never worth more than it can be on the day you make the deal. Check Kelley Blue Book for average trade, and if you have friends in the business, get the wholesale prices going around the market. Older CTS's are hot right now because dealers want used ones as they run out of 07's and are waiting for 08's. I always look to trade ACV vs. the discounted price of the car. I just ordered an 08 and got 24K for my 06, and $2600 off the 08. The dealer took my car early because they have no new or used CTSs on the lot...And this isn't a small dealer. I have bought my cars exclusively from this dealer however for the last 7 years or so and currently own 3 cars from them. Right now there are customer rebates of up to $3000 on the 07's with another $1500 going to the dealer. You could make a sweet deal. Remember however, that you are basically getting something to offset the depreciation since the car is a year old. Right now your car may be worth more as people look to buy older models because of the 08's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your car is never worth more than it can be on the day you make the deal.
Yeah, don't I know it! hehe. I've been checking KBB fairly regularly for the past several months. Looks like my current trade-in value is around $15,300.

Thanks for the insight! Though, can I ask you to clarify one thing?

You say "I always look to trade ACV vs. the discounted price of the car." I understand that ACV means 'actual cash value,' but what does that sentence mean, exactly?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 150 of us looked at our crystal balls, and we came up with 165 different answers.
Fantastic! I can't wait until you type them all in! :bigroll: That way I can formulate my own opinion based on others' responses. Afterall, that is what I was after. Feedback/Opinions/Input/etc....whether right/wrong/good/bad.

·
Registered
13 SRX Premium
162 Posts
Yeah, don't I know it! hehe. I've been checking KBB fairly regularly for the past several months. Looks like my current trade-in value is around $15,300.

Thanks for the insight! Though, can I ask you to clarify one thing?

You say "I always look to trade ACV vs. the discounted price of the car." I understand that ACV means 'actual cash value,' but what does that sentence mean, exactly?

I want to know the ACV or wholesale value of my car versus the selling price or discounted sticker. Thats why it helps to know what rebates or deals are going on. The average buyer still falls for the "trade price" against the sticker and you hear comments like "they gave me what I paid 4 years ago" type comments from your friends. I want to see a discount (if applicable) and the ACV. To Z06's point, its true, unless you are going buy now, its all crystal ball stuff. Decide what you want, what you can afford right down to down payment, montly payment etc and go in with your check book. The deal will come together if your a buyer, not a shopper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts