Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 STS 1SB, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Platinum
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2000 STS for four months now and to say the least, it's been a nightmare. I've spent almost 2k on my car thus far, and finally got it back from the shop Friday. I've literally been driving it TWO days, and tonight it was a foggy night with low visibility. I hit one of those stupid speed bumps at 35mph, I couldn't see it until I was on top of it. The whole experience was terrible, and I was late for work. Once I was released I drove it home and noticed the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL warning on the dash, then as I pulled into my driveway I noticed the temp gauge was at 1 o'clock. I looked under my car and noticed coolant leaking... So now I have to borrow a vehicle for the third week in a row. Should I just fix whatever this is and sell my lemon(I mean car) for $2,000? Quitting while I am ahead... I want to buy a 2005 STS with AWD and V6.

·
Registered
2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible
191 Posts
I'm not sure what you describe is exactly an "upgrade," but it sounds like the vehicle might better suit your mission from a reliabilty and all-weather perspective. Your problem now is that you'll need to repair that coolant leak and whatever was damaged by that landmine you drove over before you can sell it. My 02 ESC has needed nearly $10k of work since I baought it 17 months ago (nearly all of it covered by a service contract), but that car is my fair-weather ride...I use the SRX awd for the lunar surface simulator here in Omaha. Your car is simply not a good match for what you need it to be right now. Best of luck to you. God bless

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes exactly. I just hope it isnt a headgasket or anything because I've never had it overheat before like that. I want to repair it and then sell it for $2500-$3500.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
You won't blow a HG by driving over a speed bump. Probably a radiator or hose.

Can't blame this one on it being a "lemon". This one was self inflicted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it worth getting the newer style STS or should I stick it out? I honestly have no idea what to do...

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,266 Posts
Yes exactly. I just hope it isnt a headgasket or anything because I've never had it overheat before like that. I want to repair it and then sell it for $2500-$3500.
----------------------------
I want to repair it and then sell it for $2500-$3500.
whoooh -
is this the same 2000 STS with 180,000 miles on it -
that you paid $800 for?

and now you want $3500 -

good luck with that -

the $2000 you already put in was to get it to the point of being drivable -

you don't get that back - that's simply the cost of ownership -

the additional money it's going to cost you now to fix whatever you just broke -
you don't get that back either - that's the cost of driving too fast for conditions -

if you're lucky - you might find some poor kid that is hell-bent on getting a STS -
and you might get $1000 -

Cadillacs are not cheap to own or drive -

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
If you are talking about getting an STS with 4WD with 180,000 miles on it, I'd say you were jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Unless you inherit your rich Aunt Matilda's low mileage, pristine Cadillac, and a small trust fund to keep it serviced and in good running condition, you will not find owning any "clapped out" high mileage luxury car a cheap exsperience!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,266 Posts
Is it worth getting the newer style STS or should I stick it out? I honestly have no idea what to do...
----------------------
why does it have to be an STS -
like badcad said - the 3.6 does not get very good reviews -

you don't what to jump out of the kettle - and into the fire -

relax - look around - do some background checking -
find a good car - then you will enjoy it -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts