Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Should I Trade My 2017 2.0T RWD Luxury for a 2017 3.6L AWD Luxury?

1403 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DapperATS
Last Spring, I picked up a dealership demo 2017 ATS 8-Speed Auto with 8,000km on it at a price I've yet to see bettered to this day. Now there's an identically equipped Luxury model in the same colour, but with the 3.6L with AWD at a local BMW dealership with 18,000km on it (mine is now at nearly 21,000km). I'm not really interested in AWD, but would potentially (I've yet to drive one) prefer the 3.6L over the 2.0T (currently stock and no plans to tune it). I'm curious to hear your comments and recommendations as to whether I should consider spending an estimated $3,000-$5,000 to upgrade to the 3.6L AWD platform or stick with the 2.0T RWD.
1 - 4 of 12 Posts
Good points...thanks for your input, and yes, 'that' is the car I'm considering (pretty much identically equipped to mine from what I can tell, but it has paddle shifters and lower DRLs, so it must be a Premium Luxury). I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the more linear throttle response and exhaust note of the 3.6L to the 2.0T. While I wouldn't personally benefit from AWD, you're right in saying that it would be advantageous when I go to sell the car in the Canadian market. I love the handling dynamics of the 256-lb lighter and better balanced RWD ATS and could do without the AWD's increased weight, tire wear, fuel economy penalty, etc. I may go and drive it, and if I like it enough I'll see just how much it would cost to make the switch. No matter what I do, the day CUE craps out I'll regret not sticking with the 'other' car. :bigroll:
Yeah, you have to wonder why the car was traded in after such a short period of ownership (18 months or less). My current ATS Luxury has the polished 18" wheels and sunroof upgrades and I've had no issues with the car. While I'd appreciate the HID headlamps and signature lighting, many of the electronic nannies and other gadgets don't really appeal to me, but certainly would be beneficial down the road when I sell the car. I'll ponder it some more and maybe swing by for a test drive over the weekend. The BMW dealer may not be too keen on taking my current ATS in on a trade anyway since it is less well equipped than the one they're anxious to sell...the price was reduced by another $1,000 since yesterday. Thanks for everyone's input!
You're probably right, my guesstimated $3,000-$5,000 swap cost is probably conservative. Pre-owned ATS values are at the lowest I've seen, likely since sales are typically slow in January and the sedan is now out of production and off most folk's radar. $6,000-$8,000 wouldn't surprise me, so at that cost I'll stick with the current car. There's a big snow storm forecast for this weekend, so a test drive is highly unlikely anyway.
1 - 4 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.