Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was talking to this guy about some cars he has for sale and he has an 89 FWB in blue.... he said it has a 307 and something about having the crank balanced and get some new rod and main bearings.. he wants 600 for it and will pay for the tow... is it worth it to fix it up? no rust and seems to be in good shape

thanks for all your help in advance

Gary

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Guess it depends on what you want to do with it. $600 for a rust-free rolling chasis isn't bad. Now you have some options. You could fix the engine, which would be a lot of work for the average mechanic but fine if you've got the time, energy, and space, or you could pay to have it done, but then you're well past the cost of the vehicle. You could buy the car for $600 and sell it as a rolling chasis and try to get more than $600 for it. You could part it out, but that takes a lot of time and patience. What would you want to do with it if you indeed bought it?

Brian

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Well you can fix the 307 if you can rebuild an engine yourself. I'd swap in a 500 and have a 14 second full size Cadillac. A bigger Olds smallblock like a 350 or a 403, or a small block Chevy would be fairly easy to swap in as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes, it depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and how much you know/or are ready to learn.

I'm assuming you aren't the most experienced shadetree mechanic or you'd have already bought it.
The mechanical parts are NOT that complicated if you are reasonably mechanically inclined. The first car I bought ended up needing a complete rebuild. I had never done anything more than change oil before that, but I pulled it off okay. It just took a few years (money was a problem as well).
If you are looking for a car to drive right now and do not know how to work on it, then this probably isn't the car for you. But, if you are willing to read and figure stuff out as you go along and have transportation to use untill the Caddy is done, then I'd be all over it, especially since the guy is throwing in a free tow!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
BluEyes