Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease ends next December. I have only 13,000 miles on the car, thanks to covid and full-time teleworking. It feels practically new. Yet I know it is a discontinued model. Should I turn it in and walk away to a car maker that backs its designs, or take advantage of a low-mileage beauty that is arguably the most tech-advanced and well-designed Cadillac ever made?

·
Registered
2018 CT6
164 Posts
I appreciate your situation as I am coming up on the same quandary. You having a platinum, you could look at the S from MB. I have always tried to buy American, but I can not find an Auto Manufacturer from the big 3 that still makes a large size sedan and alas $100K plus for an "S" is out of the realm of reality for me. I am waiting on what engine Cadillac will put in the CT5 Blackwing. If it is peppy enough and not in the neighborhood of $90K plus I may be inclined to downsize. Right now I am inclined to keep my CT6.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,767 Posts
If they were still making it, it would probably be a better deal to turn it in and lease another
CT6, since the trade value would likely be a lot lower than the residual value.

With the low miles, if you like the car and if it will still be problem free, you could get it
Certified and buy it. Then you have a few more years in a great car, while you decide
what to get next.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
1,371 Posts
Should I turn it in and walk away to a car maker that backs its designs, or take advantage of a low-mileage beauty that is arguably the most tech-advanced and well-designed Cadillac ever made?
Cadillac isn’t fully to blame for the world we currently live in. I highly doubt they intended for modern day minivans to be their #1 selling vehicles.. Consider yourself one of the few bold individuals left who has the freedom to drive a vehicle you actually enjoy.

I wouldn’t necessarily look at the CT6 being discontinued as such a bad thing, but as making your like new Cadillac even more rare and distinctive among the rest of the ordinary world.

Just imagine the kind of heads that a mint condition 1985 Cadillac Seville would turn on the streets today... And just like that classic Seville, you’ve got a Real Cadillac.

·
Registered
CTS4
47 Posts
If you decide to buy it after the lease is up you should ask your salesman what the dealer buyout for your car is. It could be a lot less then the buyout stated on your lease agreement and you can also purchase an extended warranty and get low financing through the dealership.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport,1987 Buick Grand National,1972 Pontiac,2018 Ram megacab stick
788 Posts
Definitely don't want to buy it for the lease purchase price. Those are inflated by gm to lower lease payments. Never a good deal.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you decide to buy it after the lease is up you should ask your salesman what the dealer buyout for your car is. It could be a lot less then the buyout stated on your lease agreement and you can also purchase an extended warranty and get low financing through the dealership.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
126 Posts
Simple advice from here.....If you like your CT6.....keep it, but do negotiate the purchase price.

I have a 2019 Platinum with SuperCruise. Very honestly, there is no other new model car that entices me enough to trade it in. I really believe the combination of lux ride with sporty handling is unique to the CT6. I would really miss it going to something else. I would also miss the SuperCruise that I have gotten used to.

·
Registered
CTS4
47 Posts
The problem with buying your leased car at the end of the lease is that the car now belongs to you. If for any reason you no longer what it after a year or two you will probably be under water with the trade in value should you decide to finance it for 5 years . It’s basically a commitment that you are making to keep the car for a long time

·
Registered
'18 CT6 Platinum
40 Posts
My lease ends next December. I have only 13,000 miles on the car, thanks to covid and full-time teleworking. It feels practically new. Yet I know it is a discontinued model. Should I turn it in and walk away to a car maker that backs its designs, or take advantage of a low-mileage beauty that is arguably the most tech-advanced and well-designed Cadillac ever made?
I love the way my CT6 lights up when I step into the garage; like it is ready to take me for a ride. If you are like me about your CT6 and can't really imagine a finer car, then you might shop and find a newer one with less miles, but then again, you might not. That would be the chance you would be taking. You know your car and that is worth a lot. My suggestion is to buy it and keep it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts