Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home after taking my roommate to the bank, and im almost home, and see an old Cadillac sedan with a for sale sign that says $600. I turn around for a closer inspection.

Its a '68 Sedan Deville. White with a burgundy leather/cloth interior. Sign says it runs and drives and starts everytime. Its a bit rusty and the paint is pretty shot. But everything is there, wheel covers, emblems. The interior looked fair too. Not great, but not a disaster either. Original radio and all that.

What kind of engine does this have? I know nothing about '60s Cadillacs.

What do you guys think? I mean i know i just bought this '88, but theres always room for another right? I dont know. $600 just sounds too goo dto pass up, especially if it runs and drives.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
For $600, it'll need work, but shit, go for it.

Engine is a 472 cubic inch big block (7.7L). Cadillac sourced. 375hp and 525 lb/ft. Expect gas mileage (in good tune) in the area of 8-9 city, and 10-11 highway. Quite piggish, and it'll probably need leaded gasoline (unless it was already retrofitted) but it's got a HELL of a lot of power.

FWIW, the 1968 is my favorite year of the Cadillacs that were huge, but still had good power.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
NO! Fix up the Sage Green and make it a show car!

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts

i say do it man ........here

Production total -9850
shipping weight-4680
factory price-5785
.................................................................................
On paper, it seemed that the main distinctions of cars in the DeVille lineup were the installation of a power-operated front seat with horizontal adjustment and the addition of illuminated door panel reflectors. There were, however, richer appointments inside and out, including the traditional rear fender Tiffany-like scripts and plusher upholstery trims. In addition, twice as many body styles were provided in DeVille level finish.
V-8. Overhead valves.
Cast iron block.
Displacement: 472 cubic inches.
Bore and stroke: 4.30 x 4.06 inches.
Compression ratio: 10.5:1.
Brake horsepower: 375 at 4400 rpm
Five main bearings.
Hydraulic valve lifters.
Carburetor: Rochester Quadrajet four-barrel model 7028210S.
NOTE: The new engine featured
a metal temperature monitoring device
air injection emissions control system
integral air-conditioning system (still optional)
cast crankshaft and connecting rods
integral water crossover pipe with thermostatic passages
engine bearings with more surface area
15-plate battery.
Wheelbase: 129.5"
Overall length: 224.7"
Rear axle ratio: 2.94:1
Transmission: three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic
Tires: 9.00 x 15
Front tread: not available
rear Tread: not available
POWER TRAIN OPTIONS

Optional axle ratio data not available.
Air injector reactor and closed positive crankcase ventilation standard.
Controlled differential was now $52.65 extra on all models except Eldorado.
CONVENIENCE OPTIONS

Availability and prices of options and accessories were largely the same as 1967
Auxiliary horn ($16)
Automatic level control option on models Calais or Deville ($79)
Automatic Climate Control ($516)
Bucket seats with console on models Deville (F-J-B) with leather upholstery required ($184)
Firemist finish ($132)
Cruise control ($95)
Rear window defogger on models Calais, Deville (J-B-L) ($27)
Door guards ($5-8)
Expanded vinyl upholstery on models Calais ($42)
Soft Ray glass ($51)
Guide-Matic headlamp control ($51)
Head rests ($53)
Leather upholstery, models J-B-L ($138)
License frame ($13 pair)
Padded roof, models J ($132); models B-L ($137)
Power door locks, two-door ($47); four-door ($68)
Power ventipanes with required power windows ($72)
Power windows on Calais models ($116)
AM radio ($162)
AM/FM radio ($188)
AM/FM stereo ($288)
Reclining front seat with headrests on Convertible with required bucket seats ($84)
Four-way lefthand power bucket seat on models F-J-B ($53)
Six-way power front seat on models G-N-K ($111); models F-J-B-L ($83)
Rear center seat belt ($11)
Front shoulder straps ($32)
Tilt-telescope steering wheel ($90)
Remote control trunk lock ($52)
Twilight Sentinel ($32)
White sidewall tires, size 9.00 x 15 four-ply 8PR-5 ($56 exchange)
New items of optional equipment were added as well:
Twin front and rear floor mats for all Calais & DeVille ($17)
Front seat warmer for all Calais & DeVille ($95).

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For $600, it'll need work, but shit, go for it.

Engine is a 472 cubic inch big block (7.7L). Cadillac sourced. 375hp and 525 lb/ft. Expect gas mileage (in good tune) in the area of 8-9 city, and 10-11 highway. Quite piggish, and it'll probably need leaded gasoline (unless it was already retrofitted) but it's got a HELL of a lot of power.

FWIW, the 1968 is my favorite year of the Cadillacs that were huge, but still had good power.
That is a ton of power. Those are Gross figures i assume. Think it could be shoehorned into an '85?

96Fleetwood said:
NO! Fix up the Sage Green and make it a show car!
Thats a given, and will come, in time. But im not ready to start that yet, and im trying to make a couple dollars here.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
That is a ton of power. Those are Gross figures i assume. Think it could be shoehorned into an '85?

Yes, gross. Net I think is around 280hp and 420 lb/ft. I forget exactly how you convert gross to net, but there are calculators that allow you to do so online. Even though, the 472 Eldorado is good for a 16.5 1/4 mile according to road tests from back then, and I'd assume a RWD deVille would be a bit quicker than those.

You can put any big block Caddy motor into a 77-92 RWD Cad. Well, atleast it'll physically fit in those cars of those years.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,174 Posts
I was driving home after taking my roommate to the bank, and im almost home, and see an old Cadillac sedan with a for sale sign that says $600. I turn around for a closer inspection.

Its a '68 Sedan Deville. White with a burgundy leather/cloth interior. Sign says it runs and drives and starts everytime. Its a bit rusty and the paint is pretty shot. But everything is there, wheel covers, emblems. The interior looked fair too. Not great, but not a disaster either. Original radio and all that.

What kind of engine does this have? I know nothing about '60s Cadillacs.

What do you guys think? I mean i know i just bought this '88, but theres always room for another right? I dont know. $600 just sounds too goo dto pass up, especially if it runs and drives.
dude you should buy it! flip that 88 brougham when your all done with it, but don't let the 68 get by you. make it another project.

by the way you will love the power of the big block 472, my pops has a 68 coupe deville chillin in the back yard and when that thing was running, man was it fun to drive.

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
any old body lac is a definite good idea and it's cheap enough you could treat it like a toy and do what ever you want to do at your own pace and since it is old you dont have t be the smartest cookie to do the work

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice guys. Now its just a question of me getting my Dad to loan me the $600. Which i think i can do. He loves '60's GM products, so i think this one will hit home.

Also, there must be something in the air. I just got a phone call from a buddy ive known for years that i havnt talked to in awhile, and first thing he says is: "I just bought a Caddy" ! Its a '99 Deville. Hes on his way to show it off to me now! I think its a sign! I'll see if i can get him to join the forums.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. Now its just a question of me getting my Dad to loan me the $600. Which i think i can do. He loves '60's GM products, so i think this one will hit home.

Also, there must be something in the air. I just got a phone call from a buddy ive known for years that i havnt talked to in awhile, and first thing he says is: "I just bought a Caddy" ! Its a '99 Deville. Hes on his way to show it off to me now! I think its a sign! I'll see if i can get him to join the forums.
Jonas, get that '68 and install the drivetrain in your car. It will be fast and if you think you can do a burnout now....................... Its not a hard swap and I would do it in a hearbeat. As a matter of fact, I'm in Orlando right now, tell me where the car is and I may drive it home. It really is worth it for the drivetrain if it is in good working order. Seriously, if you cant get the money up let me know cause I'd love to get this car, strip it of its drivetrain and put it in a FWB coupe.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tell him to get a warranty it would be well worth it
Just got back in from looking at it. AMAZING doesnt even begin to describe it. I was expecting some high mileage decent shape Deville. Nah. Its a '99 with 30k miles on it. Fully loaded. Its like a white pearl color. Beige 1/4 viyl roof. Cream leather that is the definition of flawless. Has the chrome and gold E&G grille. And these really weird "golf club" wheels. The spoked are golf clubs and the center of the wheel is a gold ball. I dont think ive seen a Deville of this year in a condition like this. He bought a 36 month warranty for $1500 too. Said he is going to check out the forum when he gets home.

Oh and i just talked to my Dad, we are going to look at the '68 tomorrow. He sounds really interested. YES! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Jonas, get that '68 and install the drivetrain in your car. It will be fast and if you think you can do a burnout now....................... Its not a hard swap and I would do it in a hearbeat. As a matter of fact, I'm in Orlando right now, tell me where the car is and I may drive it home. It really is worth it for the drivetrain if it is in good working order. Seriously, if you cant get the money up let me know cause I'd love to get this car, strip it of its drivetrain and put it in a FWB coupe.
I am going with my Dad tomorrow to look at it and test drive it. If i dont end up getting it(I will know by tomorrow night) i will let you know where it is and give you the #

EDIT: What all is involved with the swap? You got me thinking.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Go for it. Better to spend $600 on a car you would love than let it rust or be turned into a mess of 13" rims and a dozen batteries. '68 is easily one of the best-looking years, with the stacked headlights. If it runs, I doubt you'd regret the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,851 Posts
I am going with my Dad tomorrow to look at it and test drive it. If i dont end up getting it(I will know by tomorrow night) i will let you know where it is and give you the #

The swap will require parts from an 80/81. You will have to grind down the top A arm mount so the exhaust clears. I had a good thread on a 500 swap, but the link is dead.

Here is some good info:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/66054-can-i-put-cadillac-500-v8.html

Buy it if it runs well. You don't need to convert it for unleaded unless you beat the hell out of it at high RPMs. Everyone over reacted when lead was first discontinued. You will need to run hi-test, though. I use 93 unleaded in my 65 Impala's 327 with no problem. If the car is in good condition, fix it up - that body style is way cool. Personally, I would bag it and do it mild custom style. If the interior/exterior is rough, yank that BB and stick it in something else.

Jason.

D

·
0 Posts
Its simply going to be a matter of motor mounts and ones from a 425 or 368 would fit. Transmission crossmember would be another but again its no biggie. I dont want to make it sound that simple but really its all BS stuff that doesn't concern me that much. I think that you should go for it but then again I dont know how experienced you are with swaps and so forth. I've done over a hundred swaps over the years and when I run into a snag I find ways around them and get things done. If its something you think you can do (and in all honesty I cant think of a reason you couldn't aside from money) I say go for it or I just may. Nothing every goes as planned when doing stuff like this but having a complete car to pull the stuff you need from is a good thing. Radiator and all accessory brackets and all that will be necessary. Let me know what you are doing. I'll be in Orlando till Thursday so if you decide you cant get it for whatever reason, let me know and I may pick it up. If I get it I'll pull the complete drivetrain and look around for a clean FWB coupe with a 4100 and do the swap. If nothing else you would learn EXACTLY how and what to do after I was done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its simply going to be a matter of motor mounts and ones from a 425 or 368 would fit. Transmission crossmember would be another but again its no biggie. I dont want to make it sound that simple but really its all BS stuff that doesn't concern me that much. I think that you should go for it but then again I dont know how experienced you are with swaps and so forth. I've done over a hundred swaps over the years and when I run into a snag I find ways around them and get things done. If its something you think you can do (and in all honesty I cant think of a reason you couldn't aside from money) I say go for it or I just may. Nothing every goes as planned when doing stuff like this but having a complete car to pull the stuff you need from is a good thing. Radiator and all accessory brackets and all that will be necessary. Let me know what you are doing. I'll be in Orlando till Thursday so if you decide you cant get it for whatever reason, let me know and I may pick it up. If I get it I'll pull the complete drivetrain and look around for a clean FWB coupe with a 4100 and do the swap. If nothing else you would learn EXACTLY how and what to do after I was done. :thumbsup:
I have no experience with swaps. My Dad and i could probably do it, but he doesnt have the time for that. My good friends dad owns his own shop and is VERY experienced with swaps. So i think i could get him to do it for a reasonable price. My first thoughts on the car was that i would just flip it, but now youve got me thinking! And if i can sell the '88 Brougham when im done with it, perhaps i could take the money from that to finance the swap.

But here i go getting ahead of myself again. I will let you know whats up when we are done looking at it.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.
759 Posts
If the car is in good condition, fix it up - that body style is way cool. If the interior/exterior is rough, yank that BB and stick it in something else.

Jason.
Couldn't have said it better myself. But either way for $600....Pick it up!

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance - 1969 Coupe DV (R.I.P.)
655 Posts
dude go for it. trust me there is nothing like driving a 472. i took a '67 coupe deville for a test drive and that thing screamed! seriously go pick it up you won't regret it

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, i went over there after work and talked to the owner. He bought it from a guy that was selling it for his Dad, who was 92 and only drove it when he was in Florida, so it sat a lot. I dont know if he was the original owner. The guy who owns it now let it sit on his property for over 2 years, starting it every so often, but never doing anything with it. He drove it quite aways over here to Casselberry, so it is road worthy to point.

The 472 sounds rough, but once its warmed up sounds much better. This thing needs a tune something fierce! The guy said its had the same oil and plugs and all that crap for a very long time, probably 10+ years. It starts up though with no hesitation, but needs new plugs, wires, and all that comes with that. It smells like it was running super rich too.

The interior is better than i thought, just very dirty. Headliner is nice. Back seats are nice. Front seats are decent, and the drivers seat has a big rip. Original radio doesnt work. The front power windows work well. Rear windows dont. Nothing is missing or really that messed up. Just needs a bit of cleaning and attention.

The rockers are very rusty. No dents on the body. All of the emblems are there and look good. All original wheel covers are nice. The chrome is surprisingly nice and not rusty or pitted at all, needs a good polishing though. It has been painted many times. I believe a dark green too, which may be the original color,as i didnt see any layers below it. It is now white(kind of), but it looks to have been light yellow at one point too.

He took me for a ride, and it felt fairly solid from the passenger seat. He never got on it though. The brake light was going on and off, but thats expected. No A/C, but he said it just needs a charge(dont they all). I really think the car has potential, and worse comes to worst, i can yank that 472 and part it out the rest of it. There are a bunch of nice parts on it. Or i may just drive it. I really like it.

My Dad was busy today at the vet, but is free tomorrow. So we are going together to look at it, and probably buy it.

Best part is, if i do get it, i can get all of the tune up crap and more stuff done for free. My buddys Dad who owns his own shop offered his services toward any vehicle i have for giving him a great deal on a new A/C system for his house. As i get wholesale prices on everything you could ever think of that has to do with home HVAC. I saved him a ton of money. So he owes me.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts