Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 360 back yesterday from Texas and the first thing I did was check for notches I made in the cases corner. I started doing this with computers when I took them for family to be serviced at Best Buy/Circuit City.

Anyways, the notches weren't there. I called the support number that came with my "receipt."

If you send in a unit for repair and they for whatever reason can't repair it you will be given a refurbished unit.

I was a bit upset but said fine. But it bugged me. It reminded me of Circuit City giving my aunt a refurbished PC everytime she had a hiccup with her PC. I had to complain to them about a new unit since her's wasn't fixed nor were the refurbished units. In the end she got store credit for the initial value of her PC.

Oh well, if this unit breaks I'm going to demand a new one.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Your warranty probably says they have the right to give you a refurbished one if yours cannot be repaired. Pretty common, I'm sure you already know this. :)
You could tell them to take the 360 and go jump in the river if they didn't provide you a new one, but I'm sure they really don't care seeing how they are having no problems selling 360s, and it's Microsoft.

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
That's been MS's policy with 360s for a while, maybe even from launch. I have 2 friends that sent their 360s back within one month, their replacements have lasted over 18...

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I can see how you'd be irritated, but at the same time the unit you returned wasn't brand new. When I hit a deer in my Escalade they replaced one of the headlamp assemblies with a used one. At first glance it pissed me off, but when I thought it over it didn't really bother me. As long as it works without malfunction = no big deal to me. my .02 :D

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess a refurbished system is what I'm owned, probably as some stated its likely in the policy. But I'd expect a WORKING unit.

This is no longer funny. My cousin and another friend now have two dead units. One is a red ring (cousin's) and the other is a failed drive. What the hell is wrong with MS? You can't patch hardware. I can understand my comp failing to boot due to a driver conflict but a console you buy to just up and quit and at that randomly! And my unit's ethernet port isn't working.

I've used a port tester and its dead. I should have tested the whole damn thing yesterday while I had the rep on the phone. I wonder what they will say caused this? As the rep claimed my surge protector fried my original Elite.

I'm glad I barely use the damn thing or I'd be even more pissed. I'm going to ask for a refund, screw this shit.

I'll wait for a month or two after the die shrink and by then hopefully MS got things working on the inside.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Sure do like my old REAL nintendo!

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
It's Microsoft. That's how it is. Which is why everyone hates them. If it's any consolation, you can't really blame them. They don't really create anything (besides Windows) anymore. They just buy up companies and integrate their technologies. So they probably inherited all the bugs in the 360.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Common problems with the 360. I know that and I dont even play games.

As far as it being refurbished, most of the replacements are. Thats not just the case in 360's but most high end electronics and mechanical items sent in for warranty repairs. When the rear end started whining on my 2001 330i, BMW replaced it with a "reman final drive" assembly, which is clearly stated on the receipt.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
You should have bought the warranty from Microsoft instead and anyway the units come with a 3 year warranty from microsoft so you shouldn't need to buy an extra warranty from circuit city or best buy.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
I sent my PS2 in to be fixed back in 2005 for the all so common Disc Read Error problem with the launch PS2's and got my very same one back and they didn't charge me anything to fix it. I wrote down the serial number and marked the bottom too. Now my PS2 runs perfectly even though it's now officially retired......

At this point I'd just give them a nasty call and demand a new one.....

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
The 360 will overheat every time if you put in an enclosed area it has to be in the open.
I have two of them and have had no problem.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Mine is acting up but it's not because of over heating or the red ring of death. i'm guessing it's the DVD-ROM because it loads stuff slowly and then I'll play a game (for example the bigs) and once I finish the game and it has to load up the next screen it just locks up. When you send your 360 in do you need to give them the serial number or anything? Because if not I'll call them at some point today and have them send me the stuff so I can ship it out to them

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spent most of my break today on the phone with a second Rep after yesterday's ordeal.

They are telling me my unit worked fine when they shipped it, that it passed all their tests. I'm explaining that I can't get a hook up with my network. They go into trouble shooting my network and then tell me its my network's fault.

I say fine, I've had no problems with any part of my network but hook the 360 directly up to the modem. The modem LINK light never Blinks. They give me some more crap about it being something on my end.

So today I get someone a bit more understand. I give them my reference number and we pick up where we left off. I jumped through hoops last night ruling out my network.

So today they agreed to take a look at it. MOFOS! They wouldn't even consider a refund or giving me a new unit. All units go through their testing facilities, any quarks are ironed out, and if they can't be you get a unit sitting in storage for god knows how long.

I'm mailing it out today after work, guess I have to wait another four to six weeks for the stupid thing.

And Blackout, yeah both times I spoke with the rep they asked for the serial number. My friend's who drive is broken said the reason he returned it to Wal-Mart was because MS said they wouldn't replace the drive for free, he'd have to pay for that.

Sony sucks with their game releases, MS's unit is breaking on me, I've realized that the Wii is out of my age-range...man this generation of console wars is really bad.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
The thing I realized back in the 90's, which I feel no different about today... is that if I am going to waste my time playing a video game, it's going to be on a portable unit. Be it a PSP, a Nintendo DS or something even more rudimentary than that. Those types of games are the most enjoyable for me. I enjoy the old skool Game Boy and even the old 1980's LCD Nintendo GameN'Watch as much as any PSP or PS3 game today. It just depends on how bored I am.

Only other thing that gets my attention are activity games like Dance Dance Revolution etc. In that case the Wii is actually pretty cool as well.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The thing I realized back in the 90's, which I feel no different about today... is that if I am going to waste my time playing a video game, it's going to be on a portable unit. Be it a PSP, a Nintendo DS or something even more rudimentary than that. Those types of games are the most enjoyable for me. I enjoy the old skool Game Boy and even the old 1980's LCD Nintendo GameN'Watch as much as any PSP or PS3 game today. It just depends on how bored I am.

Only other thing that gets my attention are activity games like Dance Dance Revolution etc. In that case the Wii is actually pretty cool as well.
my moments of boredom are cured by tetris on my smartphone

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
And Blackout, yeah both times I spoke with the rep they asked for the serial number. My friend's who drive is broken said the reason he returned it to Wal-Mart was because MS said they wouldn't replace the drive for free, he'd have to pay for that.
So he had the same problem with his 360 as well and they wouldn't cover it? Well if thats the case I guess its time to go out and find a new drive

1 - 20 of 31 Posts