Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
My rule of thumb is not to use plugged or patched tires on anything I intend drive over 100 mph.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
My rule of thumb is not to use plugged or patched tires on anything I intend drive over 100 mph.
And that, my friends, is why after doing 130+ following GMBOUND I suddenly remembered I was on 3 patched tires, one of which was patched 3 times.....:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Next week I ordered my saweeeet Nittos.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep and you jinsked me too. Cause It was after you backed off, with that reasoning the very next week, I had a flat. (Correction a loss of air pressure)
I was asking, before I put her on the road to Houston. I'm pondering putting the set I got from HushH on before I hit the road.
And yes darkman, I intend on it. And if you intend on it during the week beginning 7/30. Let me know I'll be in town.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Discount Tire uses patch and plug at same time.

They also give out little coupons that provide customer with a free flat repair. I have about 30 of those coupons. Everytime I go into one of their stores, they throw about 4 at me. I keep several in each of my cars and my sons' cars.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Discount Tire uses patch and plug at same time.

They also give out little coupons that provide customer with a free flat repair. I have about 30 of those coupons. Everytime I go into one of their stores, they throw about 4 at me. I keep several in each of my cars and my sons' cars.
They (discount tire) can work on runflats?

Those coupons would be a good joke to play on a new V owner. Put them inside of his empty spare tire well, 1st flat that he has, he'll get one hell of a surprise when he gets to the trunk.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
They (discount tire) can work on runflats?

Those coupons would be a good joke to play on a new V owner. Put them inside of his empty spare tire well, 1st flat that he has, he'll get one hell of a surprise when he gets to the trunk.
back when i had the old F1 runcraps, yes discount worked on them no problems. several GY stores balked

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac EXT
49 Posts
I stated this somewhere before, but it's well worth repeiting.
Folks please, please for everybody`s saftey, DO NOT use plugs on any passenger vehicle, especially on performance tires. If the hole is too large for an inside patch. Scrap and replace the tire. I had to do this not too long ago on a 2 week old GS-D3, man that hurt - $$$. Plugs are ok on low RPM vehicle`s such as tractors, riding-mowers, wheel-barrels, etc.
I have been out of the tire testing business for a while, but 85+ MPH WAS considered High-Speed, and most of us exceed this speed at one time or another.

This is only my professional opinion, take it for what it's worth.

riche

:)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That repair is a patch/plug, it is okay but I also would have cut it closer to the tire so it wouldn't stick out like that.
As long as those bubbles are just from what you put on there to look at it, and not still coming out! ;)

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I had a nail patched and plugged in a GS-D3 a while back. Everything was great until I did a little sustained high speed driving (85mph on I95) and the tire started to lose air. If I parked and let the tire cool down, the leak subsided.

Since then, I'm in the "anti-patch" crowd.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I have a small leak when parked. I have (1) brand new tire and (3) @ 9/32, I'm pondering putting the new one on the Right rear.
How much does Caddy charge to mount tires.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Yep, I have a small leak when parked. I have (1) brand new tire and (3) @ 9/32, I'm pondering putting the new one on the Right rear.
I do not about the tire mounting cost, but make sure the slow leak is not just the tire pressure sensor/valve stem. These can have a slow leak if not properly torqued. (the torque level is not high though).

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Three out of four of my tires have leaks in them. Sucks, 1 looses almost all pressure in two days. I want to make them last over the winter til I get new rims and tires so going to try the slime crap you put in the tire to plug any small leaks and then have them rebalanced. Never tried it before will keep you posted. I only drive to work mostly and only do around 75mph so not to worried and it can't be a big hole do to the two days it takes to leak out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Always check the nut on the valve stem of the TPS. As they come loose, you will lose air pressure. Easy to check, and you might be surprised. Mine are almost always too loose when the tires are mounted.

·
Registered
2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)
277 Posts

I've had better luck with Discount Tire over the local dealership (my latest incident is a rare exception). Back when I had my CTS-V, I had Sewell perform the first tire change--that resulted in a $150 bill with deep scratches in all four wheels. Apparently the technician wasn't patient enough to properly work the tire change machine. My complaints warranted all four wheels refinished on their dime.

Since then, I've used Discount Tire exclusively. I got a nail in one of my F1 Runflats, and fortunately Discount was able to patch it without a problem. Given the size of the plug in your tire, I would call Goodyear's customer service and let them know how your local shop treated your tire. As previously mentioned, plugs have no place on a performance vehicle, and if the puncture was too large to begin with, they (Goodyear) will usually offer a replacement tire, prorated to your remaining tread life.

Other tire manufacturers treat this similarly--my STS-V is equipped with Pirelli [email protected] runflats from the factory, and they're a bit more expensive than the F1s. However, Pirelli does NOT support patching their runflat tires, so they will offer the customer a new, replacement tire discounted to current tire life. This exact incident happened to me two weeks ago--I found a nail in one of my rear tires resulting in a very slow leak. Discount Tire ordered a replacement for me at half-price. The old tire will go back to the manufacturer.

Aside from the concept that Discount Tire supports Goodyear product and offers free patching, balancing and rotations, they're also generally open to your requests when servicing tires. Absolutely ask for a new or cleaned duckhead before performing a tire change, and see if they will devote a technician who is EMT/Runflat certified or has the most experience with runflat tires. Inattentive technicians will either use a dirty/trashed duckhead (with dirt embedded in the plastic from other people's wheels) which results in deep scratches along the edge of your wheel. Sometimes tire changers will try to minimize contact by working the edge of the duckhead, which sometimes breaks off/apart on your wheel when working the tire loose. And because the sidewall of the runflat is so stiff, the technician will also have to use a prybar to work the opposite side of the wheel, which has a good chance of scratching it up. Wheel damage is difficult to avoid, given the CTS-V wheel has no extended "lip" and is a painted surface with very little protection from clear coat.

Good luck, and be sure to ask around!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts