Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~Hello all~

I am new to this forum. It looks much more fun then my old forum even that my old forum was very educational. My first car is 97 Catera in very good condition with 60.ooo miles. Black with tan int. After I did more reserch I got very confused on what to do with the car. (sell? trade? save for CTS?) Since its my first car that I saved hard for and finaly got I wanted it to be a project.
..................................................................................................
To get best out my project:I changed

Spark plugs (6 Bosh 2 platinum spark plugs)
Coolant flush (Prestone coolant proven better then old Coolant)
Transmision fluid (Expensive Castrol stuff)
All new gaskets ( Old gaskets shown small leaks ) 36.ooo protection plan

Ouside looks:

Tints: %5 back and %50 front 2 (really profecional looking) $250.ooo
Removal center caps on wheels (better looking rims)
Removal rear alum decoration strip on brake lights (cleaner rear end)
Meguiars all car care kit ( protects, shines, new looking black paint)

.................................................................................................
might sound like a small list its still lots $ for a hight school grad my age.

Here in North Bay Area where I live in California their are not many Cateras around. Specialy tuner projects ( Lots of people ask what car is that ) I talked to CTS owner next to my apartment few days ago as he always gave me looks at my car at stop lights day to day as I went to work. At 18 year old its tuff to afford paying for everything and tuning such a car I told him state we live in. We talked and he told me in checking out the new CTS. As I did few days later my impression towards my car did not fade away even that CTS was loved. I think its a really strong competition to me as right now. ( Bottom line is I am a little confused I still got timing belt and tensioner to change since its important ( $400.oo ) Prob few more $100's need to be spend to make car runing at its top performance. As that done in a while I am thinking:

To save for: CTS or Catera Mods???? (still got Catera Payments)

Lowering Elbach spring's for my catera with Koni sport's shocks.
Resernators removal & Magna Flow mufler.
Custom Cold air intake that will go into fender with HKS filter.
17's or 18's light weight rim's with hight performance tires.
Carbon fiber hood and rear trunk ( rear lights removal )???? expensive
Sparco or any other racing or turing sports seats for front 2. expensive

Ligher more HP and better handling car we looking at here.

Those are just starting mods I can do to my car.

What should I do doe????

220+ 250hp Catera? or 220Hp CTS?
LS1 Catera or CTS with mods?

Thing I love that you dont see any turing cateras around.........

Thanks for all your pos info

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Hey. Welcome aboard - and thanks for signing up.. Which was your old board? Sorry, I'm running out the door so I can't fully reply right now. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
~Thanks for Welcoming me~

My old forum used to be this thing I found in Yahoo car clubs. It was tech forum that was so boring and made me feel like Cateras where nothing but waste of time, because all they talked about is Catera problems which ran up to 100 pages. At same time it was good experience for new owner. It tought me lots. I was looking for a forum that would make me feel more better and more happy to work on my car and at same time make some more friends.

Overall I am happy with my 97. Its a big project. As I type now I am about to take a bus to pick up my car from a very good mechanic that just changed uper oil pan gasket that require him to lift up the engine and take whole lots of stuff to get to the upeer oil pan gasket. At same time he is going to change bottom oil pan gasktet and drain plug. On most Cateras drain plug rings get old quick and start to leak same with gaskets. This is the last set of gaskets I am willing to change then my engine would be leak free clean and ready to recive custom cold air which I am about to get and fit in the wheel whell. I thought why not change all thing that have problems since I still got 36.ooo miles woranty I got with the car before I modify anything.

Feel free to reaply

Thanks again

Ls1 Catera project

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damp no one has nothing to say

Well, today I picked up my car it's got it's upper and lower gaskets changed also new drain plug put in. Now car is oil leak free and almost fully serviced. Runs like no other. On Monday I already set up apointment at exaust shop which is going to put X tube and do resernator removal to single 2 and half pipe that has one free flow resernator to make it more deep sound which would come to Magna flow mufler with polished square magna flow logo tips. Whole set up is going to run me $400 with instalation. It should pick up 15 HP to 20 HP. After that I am going for custom cold air intake with HKS filter. Thats another 5 HP to 10 HP.

225hp Cat ( not bad for start )

After that some other work is coming in the way after that I am starting to save up more. Get up to $5G's and pay of my Catera and then see whats happening. CTS is still my favorite.

Any coments feel free

thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Ls1 Catera project said:
damp no one has nothing to say

Well, today I picked up my car it's got it's upper and lower gaskets changed also new drain plug put in. Now car is oil leak free and almost fully serviced. Runs like no other. On Monday I already set up apointment at exaust shop which is going to put X tube and do resernator removal to single 2 and half pipe that has one free flow resernator to make it more deep sound which would come to Magna flow mufler with polished square magna flow logo tips. Whole set up is going to run me $400 with instalation. It should pick up 15 HP to 20 HP. After that I am going for custom cold air intake with HKS filter. Thats another 5 HP to 10 HP.

225hp Cat ( not bad for start )

After that some other work is coming in the way after that I am starting to save up more. Get up to $5G's and pay of my Catera and then see whats happening. CTS is still my favorite.

Any coments feel free

thanks.
Weclome! It's not that we do not see your post it's just that there's practically no interest in this forum.

If you can get an LS1 in, great! That would be a cool mod. Lol of that doesn't work, put in a north*!

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Hey Ls1 Catera project

Welcome! As 2dfx said, the Catera Forum hasn't seen much traffic - *but* that can change :D. Personally, I'd go as far with a low buck makeover as possible, drive it like ya stole it, and save your $$ for a CTS-V when you can afford it. I would not drop any major dollars into it. Do it on the cheap, keep it clean and shiny, and enjoy. The Picture Gallery should re-open soon so we'll expect some photos!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks

~I am runing to work so I am going to make this a quick one~

Yeah as you sad I am not going to drop any big $ in (just save for da V)
All doe I am going to get exaust set up on Monday. (cold air is a project)
I cant wait to get that thing up. Once I get my exaust thats when I am going to start thinking on posting pics. (in few days I would say)

Black with black tinted polished to its max with all Mequiars products with squire dual exaust......... LOL

S

·
0 Posts
An LS1 or Northstar in the Catera may not be as fast as a CTS-v, but it will be with some tuning. And, you'll save a hell of a lot more money on the Catera as compared to what you will pay fo for the new CTS-v. The choice is yours, but I'd go with a Northstar in the Catera. IT might not be the fastest out there, but there is always someone who will be faster. AN LS1/Northstar powered Catera will make one hell of a sleeper. No one would ever suspect it. People know about the CTS-v.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
scourge said:
An LS1 or Northstar in the Catera may not be as fast as a CTS-v, but it will be with some tuning. And, you'll save a hell of a lot more money on the Catera as compared to what you will pay fo for the new CTS-v. The choice is yours, but I'd go with a Northstar in the Catera. IT might not be the fastest out there, but there is always someone who will be faster. AN LS1/Northstar powered Catera will make one hell of a sleeper. No one would ever suspect it. People know about the CTS-v.
I agree - an interesting project. However, he said he's on a tight budget right now, and that he does actually prefer the CTS to the Catera. Assuming he cannot do the work yourself, how much do you figure to buy and install the LS1/Northstar and all necessary upgrades to go with it? In this case, I'd still recommend saving for the CTS-V.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Devil_concours said:
why not a supercharged 3800 series ii engine?
it's a very soild engine with easy/cheap/lots of mods available.

it's aka as sbc of v6
The 3.8 is a good motor, no doubt. But it's the 4.3 that is actually the SBC with 2 cylinders removed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
~Hey all Caddie tuners~

How yo all doin?

Thanks for all your info. It deffinatly gets me. Now about my car position as now. Well, on Monday I am getting following exaust things installed: Y pipe to 2 dual pipes that already on the car which would come out as 2 and half size ice pack pipe wich would follow Magna flow mufler with 2 dual square 2 and half inch tips. Whole set up should be really klean looking and having deep sound to it. ( Almost look alike as Steinsmitz Catera exaust). Set up shows %10hp gain out of 200hp. Now the sad fact is that my car got 61.ooo miles and got original timing belt and tensioner which break all the time on Cateras. That would run me another $250.oo+. I am going to do that after I get my exaust with in few following pay checks. I am hoping my car stays strong like it have been till timing belt is replaced. While all that going I am going to save up some money slowly for ??????

More Catera mods or CTS. I spend aprox $800 on my Catera since I got it. Its not a whole bunch on money but on same hand it could of gone towards CTS. But at same time I need to spend money into Catera to have me moving to work and back so that way I can save up more money. So its kind of a ball game right now. Once Catera is totaly payed which their is not much left to pay off then I would see what to do and how much money I would have saved. If I come up short for CTS I am deffilantly going to look into swaps making it CATERA. ( Real one this time looking at 300+hp ) Day and night Vs normal CTS. Even that CTS got new Sigma platform that is very smooth sporty set up which can be fixed with Catera too with some Elbach spring and Koni shock's which I be prob getting in long run. Its going to be easily proven that Opel platform holds its own and can also be tuned to its profection.

Remember too that all mods I do to Catera and if I give it up and want to get CTS I can sell all mods back on EBay or something get most money back.

Well, as time goes I keep yo all posted.

Thanks for all your help again.

(feel free to keep this post moving as more mods I get and share my personal experience with all of yo)

Ls1 Catera project

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How yo all doing?

It looks like no one is interested in this. 5 days since I reaply and their is still no life in here. Well I finaly got my MagnaFlow full exaust and I wanted to let you know how happy I was with it. It looks, performs and sounds perfect on Catera. Set up proven good. It might be a little loud but I am picky about sounds so it might not be so bad for others. Its really deep sound. Power kicks in very well at all power bands. I had allots more people looking at the car specialy once I had small race after work Vs Acura Integra LS which amazinly I beat at a stop light. Not many know what it is and it looks and sounds very good. As I work my next mod to get is buy cold air intake and HKS filter have it custom bend for my car in mufler shop. As that done I would not have to fear much of CTS anymore till CTS V comes out. I am still saving for what ever I get as second car after my Catera. More tuning on the way as I keep yo all posted.

( Dont give up all Catera owners should have a meating )

Ls1 Catera project

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
the Sandman said:
The 3.8 is a good motor, no doubt. But it's the 4.3 that is actually the SBC with 2 cylinders removed.
people refer to it as sbc of 6cylinder because of its aftermarket availability. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Hey. Sorry it's been so slow in here. Eventually there will be more Catera owners who find this website. We've only been around for 8 months so don't worry - they'll be here..

In the meantime, keep us posted on your project. When somebody DOES come here with a Catera, they'll be glad to learn about your trials and tribulations. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kool kool kool

thanks for some info, now I am starting to save and save while helping my friend with his car he jus bought. 86 Honda si 2.o Prelude. Its a total mess but a good project. Helping him would save my Catera so that way I dont have to drive to work every day. He can drive me once we get his car fixed. That way I would have low miles and save money on gas. Once I replace my timing belt which would be like $300.oo then I am going to put in intake with nice filter and heat sheild cover which is another extra 10hp should bump me up to 225+hp.

Well take care as I keep you posted.

Ls1 Catera project

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
have you thought about just getting a SBC 350? would be alot cheaper to build up than a LS1, carb'd so you dont have to worry about computers and you could get a 5 speed for it. And if you wanted you could even go with TPI later. Only thing would be motor mounts, but you'd need to get those fab'd either way. Just get some chrome valve covers that say cadillac on them and your set.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Project

Thanks for your idea's.

I been working allot lately at Mercedes. Still saving money for the future swap if I ever was about to do it. I am thinking to keep my V6 in their prob till CTS V comes out. My friend is driving me to work everyday for me to save miles and keep my car in good shape. Before my saving are up I am going to start looking soon for people who are willing to help me do the swap. So far I dont know many. I should also start collecting all information about it. So far I am into making my Catera stronger in every point before I do the swap. Getting things like sport suspension, brakes upgrade, lighter body components, lighter stronger wheels with hight performance tires and etc. I want to make sure my car can handle the V8 before its done. Soon I am going to start making more pic's to post on here once pic section opens I be happy to show you what I am making.

( What do you think about Catera Hang out place where we all see each other some time at end of this year ? Maybe in LA or some place else? )

Ls1 Catera project

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Ice Man Cold Air Finaly completed.

Hello all!

I guess no one is looking at this no more. I hope at same time its helping some people because their is so little out their. Well, I got a news upgrade for all of you which I worked really hard for. Upgrade is getting Intake for my car which finaly not only looks very profecional but also performs like no other. I had all kinds of ideas and money spendings with custom fabrications which I build in intake feilds. Short ram intake which was just a pice of alum pipe with K&N drop in. ( It kept on getting hot and just making noice ) As I traveled to my hight performance european shop which was helping me out with all projects in the past with my friends cars, they offered me Ice Man Cold air intake for Eclipse. I payed $150 for whole deal with K&N cone filter. With about 2 days of different fix ups and custom modifications I finaly got everything to work together buitufully and also look like a real deal. It's a 2 piace intake that travels far to the left of engine bay. The angle once I got the intake looked pefect. Intake is made of special material that looks like durable plastic which makes whole point of producing horse power and ability to custom trim and fit in. It turned out really nice and also power difference is really well recodnized specialy with exaust which I already got. ( 15hp duno proven. ) As my car goes I keep you all posted.

Talk to you soon

your's

Ls1 Catera project

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Iam getting more and more seriose about getting a Catera, so you wont be alone my friend. Have you found any companies that make suspension parts, other then springs? I figure i'll be doing the suspenson first, while i slowly building up a new engine for it. Got any pics of the new intake?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts