Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of having a dirty apartment, I nearly spent $400 on a Dyson. Then, I discovered the magic and wonder of shop vacs. 4hp and a 9 gallon tank cost only $50. In reverse, it functions as a leaf blower.

Its loud and consumes lots of electricity, but I live in a corner apartment with an entrance that faces the woods. When it gets bad, my living room looks less like a room and more like a transitional area between the yard and bedroom.

In addition, the dog's treats leave bits and pieces all over the carpet.

I managed to suck up leaves, bones, a box of staples, a sock, a rag, coins, and LOTS of dirt. Living with two other guys and an active dog, I see no advantage to ever using an indoor vacuum cleaner.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917742000P?keyword=shop+vac

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,091 Posts
Tired of having a dirty apartment, I nearly spent $400 on a Dyson. Then, I discovered the magic and wonder of shop vacs. 4hp and a 9 gallon tank cost only $50. In reverse, it functions as a leaf blower.

Its loud and consumes lots of electricity, but I live in a corner apartment with an entrance that faces the woods. When it gets bad, my living room looks less like a room and more like a transitional area between the yard and bedroom.

In addition, the dog's treats leave bits and pieces all over the carpet.

I managed to suck up leaves, bones, a box of staples, a sock, a rag, coins, and LOTS of dirt. Living with two other guys and an active dog, I see no advantage to ever using an indoor vacuum cleaner.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917742000P?keyword=shop+vac
For a thorough cleaning just wash everything into a corner with the garden hose then pick it all up with the vacuum.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I love using my shop vac in my room...it's so much simpler and more maneuverable than a regular push vacuum.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Shop Vacs are awesome. We have had to use ours several times as an emergency sump pump.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
I really need to clean out my garage. It's a total pigsty. the shop vac will definitely come in handy whenever the hell I get around to doing it.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Great for cleaning out your carpets in the car. You can also hose down your floormats and shampoo them. Suck the water out with a shop vac, let them sit in the sun for a few hours to completely dry. Works great if you have really soiled mats. Just don't forget to empty out that nasty water

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
And when you're planning on using it for water it'll be much easier to clean out if you empty the tank first before you start sucking up water, otherwise you've got a filthy mess in the canister as water hits dust/gravel/whatever else.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Viva!! Shop Vac! Now all you need is a power washer and your set!

Dyson upright vac over priced, over hyped ......... but it made Dyson a billionaire, literally .... no kidding!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado
440 Posts
my 69 dollar bissel does jsut fine in my apartment. I'm OCD about messes though, so I dont get it dirty. But when I'm not at College and I'm home, the Shop Vac in the garage is crazy awesome.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
With a long hose, some straight tubes, and a U-shaped end, I use the shopvac to clean out my gutters.

·
Registered
06 Escalade
282 Posts
I wish they made an agitator attachment for the Shop Vac. without the agitator, the Shop Vac does a pour job on carpets..

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
+1 the Dyson is one of the most overrated machines ever. Ever vaccuum repair technician I've talked to says that all you have to do is look in the shop and notice that almost ALL the vaccums he is repairing/servicing are Dysons. We went with a commercial grade upright vaccuum with a metal agitator and gears. (Open up a cheap vaccuum some time or even one of those Oreck "lightweight" units and the crap you see in there will shock you.) Ended up snagging something from Amazon.com for less than half as much as a Dyson for something that is so much better. (I think it's a Panasonic)

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
+1 the Dyson is one of the most overrated machines ever. Ever vaccuum repair technician I've talked to says that all you have to do is look in the shop and notice that almost ALL the vaccums he is repairing/servicing are Dysons. We went with a commercial grade upright vaccuum with a metal agitator and gears. (Open up a cheap vaccuum some time or even one of those Oreck "lightweight" units and the crap you see in there will shock you.) Ended up snagging something from Amazon.com for less than half as much as a Dyson for something that is so much better. (I think it's a Panasonic)
That is good advice, the ones they use in hotels are really good and super quiet if you can find one.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 1988 Fleetwood Brougham
330 Posts
My garage got so full of stuff that I went and bought another house so I could have a clean garage ;)

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
We have two shop-vacs (one 8hp, the other 3hp), a regular DirtDevil upright for regular stuff, and a Bissel steam cleaner.

The 8hp shop-vac is great for the basement, broken tile, nails, ant colonies, unwary small dogs, you name and it will pick it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts