Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone?

What brand of shocks and springs do you guys recommend for replacement on my 85 fleetwood brougham. I have thefactory air ride suspnsion, but I think I want to put regular shocks in. What do you guys think. I want that real soft smooth Cadillac ride. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If we are talking about an '85 RWD Fleetwood then stick with the factory system. Most aftermarket shocks are designed to deliver a noticable difference in ride to keep the customers happy knowing something has changed. Also the air system allows the car to ride lower to begin with. As long as the springs are even and not seriously wimped out then let the air system do the work. The ride will be much better. I've seen so many nice Cadillacs turned into pogo sticks with load leveler springs over the years it's just a shame. Now if boinging around is your thing then it is different. You did say the ride is important.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The Ape Man said:
If we are talking about an '85 RWD Fleetwood then stick with the factory system. Most aftermarket shocks are designed to deliver a noticable difference in ride to keep the customers happy knowing something has changed. Also the air system allows the car to ride lower to begin with. As long as the springs are even and not seriously wimped out then let the air system do the work. The ride will be much better. I've seen so many nice Cadillacs turned into pogo sticks with load leveler springs over the years it's just a shame. Now if boinging around is your thing then it is different. You did say the ride is important.
I have been wondering about that, since if our '93s ever need replaced, at least on the back, my dad thinks it would be best to use one with a coil over helper on it to help out the lift lost in ditching the air system.

As is, mine still seem to be working perfectly, so I think we'll leave them alone and stick with the stock "bag of water" ride for now:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My 96 Fleetwood's ass has been sagging, would it be worth it for me to switch to the Monroe's? I'm not as heavy into ride cushiness, as I am into str, consistency, and handling. I dont want it to ride like a truck, but I can handle it being a little stiffer.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I just swapped in new front shocks (9C1 spec Gabriel Ultras), and so far, I am happy with them, which is surprising, I hate most shocks, they are never enough. BUT, these are still new, only 100 miles on them. Hopefully they won't dissappoint me in a 1000 miles....

But I need new rear now, it shows how much they bounce in comparisson!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
OK does the car have level ride now? Do the rear shocks have little plastic air hoses connected to them. If so then maybe someone with a service manual can post the information for you.

·
Registered
607 Posts
ShadowLvr400 said:
I'll admit, I dont know how.
In order to 'adjust' the air ride height on the Fleetwood, you have to crawl under the the rear of the car on your back and look for the little lever arm, I think it's on the driver's side near the rear wheel somewhere. You can give it a slight bend to give more/less height on the vehicle.
Never done it myself, but will soon (someday) when I get a new wheel/tire combo along with my lowering springs. That will be temporary until I rid myself of the air shocks and get some Monroe Severe Service shocks.

Anyway, the lever senses when the air starts to get low (or a heavy load is sagging the arse end) and tells the old compressor to start pumping. Manipulating the lever will give to more or less slack before it makes contact and triggers the compressor.

Also, from what I've read according to other FW owners, the rear coil springs are pretty saggy without the air ride shocks in there. The springs weren't meant to hold up the weight of the car by themselves (w/o the air shocks) so disabling the air ride stuff without new coil springs is a bad idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
BCs71