Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ride is kinda rough on bumps...I think it might be my heavy rims?

It just doenst feel stable? my tires are balanced..

I have 35k miles on it....

any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
2015 SRX4 Luxury
621 Posts
What size rims are you running? Mine has the stock 16" right now and I think it is rough...for a CADDY.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
An old rule of thumb for checking shocks was to press the corner of the car down as far as you can and let go. The corner should raise up past center once, down once and then stop back at center. If it continues to bounce up and down, the shocks need replacing.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
What kind of suspension you have on your car? Sport suspension? if so they do kind of ride harder then a softer suspension. I have the Lux/Pag CTS with the soft suspension and it rides beautiful to me. My dealer said its a much better ride then the sport suspension with the 17in wheels. I have 16in and it gives me a soft ride over most roads. But even with some bad roads in my area you do feel it. but theres only so much the tires and suspension can do on bad roads. I wouldnt think you need a new suspension with only 35k on it. thats still kind of new for a car. You should at lest get 50k out of them unless your hitting a hell of a lot of big pot holes!:confused:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
If you have either low profile tires or the sport suspension it will ride rougher. Most of us pay extra money for that rough ride:)

GM ENG makes a valid point to testing your shocks.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
Pushing down on the body work by hand can leave handprint impressions in the fenders. I was taught to open a door and pull down on the door several time to get the car rocking and then count the excursions until it stops. Three is max. When the front struts went tits up on my CTS at 35K miles it floated and wallowed all over the road. New struts fixed it.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Pushing down on the body work by hand can leave handprint impressions in the fenders. I was taught to open a door and pull down on the door several time to get the car rocking and then count the excursions until it stops. Three is max. When the front struts went tits up on my CTS at 35K miles it floated and wallowed all over the road. New struts fixed it.
Koz,
Maybe you could put a towel on the fender to protect from finger prints?? At 38,000 miles were good but I did convert to FE4 struts in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
Koz,
Maybe you could put a towel on the fender to protect from finger prints?? At 38,000 miles were good but I did convert to FE4 struts in there somewhere.
The fenders are so tender that your hand leaves a hand shaped dent in the sheet metal. There have been some reports on this forum of exactly that happening.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
If you dont want to leave hand prints or a dent in your fender, just open the hood and press on the inside of the fender where its stronger.:thepan:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Changing tire brands and size can have a big effect on the ride and handling of the car.
Shorter stiffer sidewalls will increase the roughness of the ride.
If you have bigger rims, you likely have shorter sidewalls.
You might be able to play with the tire pressures to soften it.

It sounds like you just installed your problem.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Changing tire brands and size can have a big effect on the ride and handling of the car.
Shorter stiffer sidewalls will increase the roughness of the ride.
If you have bigger rims, you likely have shorter sidewalls.
You might be able to play with the tire pressures to soften it.

It sounds like you just installed your problem.
I won't dispute the wheels as the first culprit for the above members issue. However even at 35,000 miles the quality of the strut is degraded and replacing them will give any vehicle a noticeable improvement in steering, stopping, and stability.

Drive two identical cars with identical tires one with worn struts/shocks and one with new struts and shocks and your going to see even at 30,000 miles its a dramatic difference in how the car handles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts