Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 107,000 miles, I need to replace both front shocks on my 2004 SRX with magnetic ride control. Dealer quote is $2100, parts at $1700. Given the mileage, having to replace shocks may be normal. However, the cost takes your breath away. My mechanical skills are up to the challenge of doing the repair myself.

Any wisdom from the group on the repair, locating a shop manual, low cost parts source new and used?

Otherwise, the car has been great!

Thanks for any input!

Don Marriott

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Are you getting the service suspension sys message?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no service suspension message. visible oil leak is the problem...seals are bad.

Don Marriott

·
Registered
('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD
1,049 Posts
For that kind of money---I'd likely replace them with good aftermarket shocks. Koni, Bilstein, etc.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
For that kind of money---I'd likely replace them with good aftermarket shocks. Koni, Bilstein, etc.
You'd be sadly disappointed. The mag ride suspension is miles beyond any passive system. It's benefits are particularly noticable when going over the frost heaved roads in Alaska. After a long trip in the lower 48 I found much worse roads. I guess we no longer have a monopoly on that problem.

·
Registered
('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD
1,049 Posts
You'd be sadly disappointed. The mag ride suspension is miles beyond any passive system. It's benefits are particularly noticable when going over the frost heaved roads in Alaska. After a long trip in the lower 48 I found much worse roads. I guess we no longer have a monopoly on that problem.
I'm quite sure I would----BUT----he's already got 107,000 miles on it! :bigroll:

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
964 Posts
After 107,000 miles, I need to replace both front shocks on my 2004 SRX with magnetic ride control. Dealer quote is $2100, parts at $1700. Given the mileage, having to replace shocks may be normal. However, the cost takes your breath away. My mechanical skills are up to the challenge of doing the repair myself.

Any wisdom from the group on the repair, locating a shop manual, low cost parts source new and used?

Otherwise, the car has been great!

Thanks for any input!

Don Marriott
Sometimes your local library is a good shop manual source, especially if they have Mitchel's online for example. For parts, I'd look up the parts numbers on acdelco.com or rockauto.com and check rockauto and gmpartsdirect.com for an ideal of costs. Maybe some of the supporting vendors on this forum are a good supply source too. No wisdom on what's involved in changing the shocks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Might try a salvage yard that specializes in GM parts.
Try to find a yard that has coast to coast connections to other yards.
If you find a good one share your find!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts