Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 seville STS. The rear shock absorbers seem to work ok, but look pretty bad. There are quite some little cracks in the rubber and the lower part is greasy.
Is it necessary to replace them? Or do they always look like this?

Bert

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,919 Posts
those are overdue for replacements - you have a couple choices -
TRY to hunt down the original F45 - electronic shocks - around $500 to $600 EACH -
OR convert to the non-electronic MONROE MA822 - around $60 - for the PAIR -

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those are overdue for replacements - you have a couple choices -
TRY to hunt down the original F45 - electronic shocks - around $500 to $600 EACH -
OR convert to the non-electronic MONROE MA822 - around $60 - for the PAIR -

Hi basscatt, thanks for the answer! When I choose for the MONROE MA822, the CVRSS wouldn't be working anymore. is that correct? And is the height control (compressor) still working?
Can you recommend me shock absorbers for the front aswell?

Tanks,

Bert

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,243 Posts
The Level Control system still works with the MA 822 shocks. CVRSS does not, and requires a 1/2 Watt 4.7 KOhm (4700 Ohm) resistor to be inserted into each shock/strut body wiring connector - to fool the system into thinking the active suspension is in place and thus prevent speed limiters and endless suspension fault messages and warning codes.

Monroe makes a set of passive front struts for that car. Same resistor workaround.

If you install the passive struts/shocks the suspension feel will be like that of a new SLS - slightly firm but with a comfortable ride. Under aggressive driving maneuvers you will not have the stiff suspension control of the CVRSS system.

·
18,919 Posts
Hi basscatt, thanks for the answer! When I choose for the MONROE MA822, the CVRSS wouldn't be working anymore. is that correct? And is the height control (compressor) still working?

Tanks,

Bert
============================
the CVRSS wouldn't be working anymore. is that correct?
CORRECT -
and as Sub said - you'll need the 1/2 watt - 4.7K ohm resistors (one for each shock/strut) to fool the computer -
$1.69 for a 10-pack - with free shipping -

And is the height control (compressor) still working?
YES - the MA822 shocks have the air bladders to retain the ELC system -

STRUTS on the front - SHOCKS on the rear -
YES - MONROE has two choices -
the bare strut - 71685 - you disassemble the strut assembly and swap ALL the parts onto the new strut -
OR
the QUICK STRUT - 171685 - this is a fully assembled strut assembly that contains ALL brand new components -

and I found a KILLER deal for you on the bare strut -
MONROE 71685 - $25.79 each - plus shipping -
this is a special "wholesaler closeout" deal from ROCKAUTO.COM -

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Level Control system still works with the MA 822 shocks. CVRSS does not, and requires a 1/2 Watt 4.7 KOhm (4700 Ohm) resistor to be inserted into each shock/strut body wiring connector - to fool the system into thinking the active suspension is in place and thus prevent speed limiters and endless suspension fault messages and warning codes.

Monroe makes a set of passive front struts for that car. Same resistor workaround.

If you install the passive struts/shocks the suspension feel will be like that of a new SLS - slightly firm but with a comfortable ride. Under aggressive driving maneuvers you will not have the stiff suspension control of the CVRSS system.

Thanks for your comment! Does Monroe have a set of passive struts only for the front? I would need a set for the back aswell.

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CORRECT -
and as Sub said - you'll need the 1/2 watt - 4.7K ohm resistors (one for each shock/strut) to fool the computer -

the bare strut - 71685 - you disassemble the strut assembly and swap ALL the parts onto the new strut -
OR
the QUICK STRUT - 171685 - this is a fully assembled strut assembly that contains ALL brand new components -

HI basscatt, thanks for your comment! Are the Monroe 171685 left and right the same? I think I'll have to go for the quick strut Option. Where exactly do I put these resistors? And would ACDelco 580130 and 580131 fit as shocks for the back?

Bert.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,243 Posts
Each front strut and rear shock has a 2-wire electrical connector for active control signals. The pigtail from each plugs into the body harness connector - the 4.7 KOhm resistor is used to bridge the 2 wires, insulated and then waterproofed.

Just like bending a paper clip and sticking it into a mains wall socket.

Yes, Monroe makes passive struts (front) and passive shocks (rear). The rear shocks MA822 have the ELC air bladders and can be used with either the original automatic level control system or be fitted with a Monroe kit for manual inflation/venting - uses a tire Schrader valve.

I believe the AC Delco replacement shocks are rebranded Gabriel Hijackers and would give an unsatisfactory ride quality.

·
18,919 Posts
HI basscatt, thanks for your comment! Are the Monroe 171685 left and right the same? I think I'll have to go for the quick strut Option. Where exactly do I put these resistors? And would ACDelco 580130 and 580131 fit as shocks for the back?

Bert.
Are the Monroe 171685 left and right the same?
MONROE 171685 is the correct part number for both the RIGHT side and LEFT side front struts -

Where exactly do I put these resistors?
they get plugged into the harness that used to go to the strut/shock -

would ACDelco 580130 and 580131 fit as shocks for the back?
YES - those are the original - F45 - electronic shocks - around $600 - EACH -
BUT - if you are going to put those on the rear -
you should replace the front struts with matching original - F45 - electronic struts -

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001
12 Posts
Each front strut and rear shock has a 2-wire electrical connector for active control signals. The pigtail from each plugs into the body harness connector - the 4.7 KOhm resistor is used to bridge the 2 wires, insulated and then waterproofed.

Just like bending a paper clip and sticking it into a mains wall socket.

Yes, Monroe makes passive struts (front) and passive shocks (rear). The rear shocks MA822 have the ELC air bladders and can be used with either the original automatic level control system or be fitted with a Monroe kit for manual inflation/venting - uses a tire Schrader valve.

I believe the AC Delco replacement shocks are rebranded Gabriel Hijackers and would give an unsatisfactory ride quality.

Ok, that shouldn't be a problem to install the resistors. And I'll stay to the Monroe MA822

Are the Monroe 171685 left and right the same?
MONROE 171685 is the correct part number for both the RIGHT side and LEFT side front struts -

Where exactly do I put these resistors?
they get plugged into the harness that used to go to the strut/shock -

would ACDelco 580130 and 580131 fit as shocks for the back?
YES - those are the original - F45 - electronic shocks - around $600 - EACH -
BUT - if you are going to put those on the rear -
you should replace the front struts with matching original - F45 - electronic struts -
Ok, I'll take the Monroe M822 for the back, and the 171685 for the front.

Thanks for your help!

Bert

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CORRECT -

OR

Hi basscatt, are you sure the Monroe 171685 fit at my Cadilac Seville STS 2001? The productinfo says only Deville. It's important to me because the shipping to Germany is quite expensive.

Tanks,

Bert

·
18,919 Posts
Hi basscatt, are you sure the Monroe 171685 fit at my Cadilac Seville STS 2001? The productinfo says only Deville. It's important to me because the shipping to Germany is quite expensive.

Tanks,

Bert
OOPS!
the correct number for the SEVILLE is MONROE 171684 -
the DEVILLE is 171685 -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts