Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2006 dts Cadillac 2000 sts balck on black
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taking a look at some dts pics from 2006 to 2011 and i see some have the shifter on the steering colum ? Any reason for this ?

·
Registered
1968 Eldorado
785 Posts
Starting in 2006 all DTS have the floor shifter. A bench seat option with column shifter was available for those who prefer it that way.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
All front bench seats require a column shifter, as there is no place for a console with a bench seat. I didn't know that starting in 2006 all models had bucket seats as standard with an option to order a bench seat.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
The column shift (six passenger seating) option was available on (I believe) all trim levels except Performance Edition, which offered only the floor shifter and center console (5 passenger seating). I believe the front bucket seats are the same in all the cars, but with the column shifter the center console is replaced with a narrow center seat section, and LARGE fold-down armrest / storage compartment. The large armrest is very useful to rest your elbow on and drive. This can't be done very well with the center console. Folks with the column shifter have commented that when in drive, the shift knob blocks some of the center console display.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
108 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 DTS with the column shifter , When i went to test drive it, i wasn't aware that some had the column shifter.

When i returned home i was thinking to myself where and why was there no center console .

But now i like it kind of gives it that old school feel.

2006 DTS 57,775 miles :cool2:

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES
212 Posts
Because back in the day it was awesome to mess around in the front seat, drive with that open cruisy feeling, and also have the benefit of exiting the car on the right. It's the only thing I would change about my car, but it's not available with the Performance model. It would alleviate that awkward moment of having to switch to the back seat, it feels cool to drive, and it would be convenient to get out on the curb of a busy street (which also looks cool) or in my garage. I share it with someone and I'm the one who parks with driver's door to the wall.

If you notice, Mercedes is the only one who can get away with having a column shift. What's that nubby thing on the right of their steering wheels? If Cadillac still did it then it would be "old" and stodgy."

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Although we call them bench seats they are not. They are the same seats that come with the center console only there is no center console; just extra room and storage. I have the "no console" and much prefer it.

·
Registered
2008 DTS - III
1 Posts
I have a 2008 LUX III with the "bench seat". I chose this option because I felt it was more comfortable on long trips to Florida and Arizona. Prior to the DTS, I had a CTS. The CTS buckets were tight for this large guy. Another feature of the bench is that it offers a third front seat belt. That is why it is commonly known as 6 passenger seating. When not in use, the middle seat belt stays out of the way under the moveable center arm rest. I recently drove a 2008 DTS with buckets and I am now convinced that I made the right decision for me. The LUX III bench has all the features of LUX III seating, namely heated and cooling as well as "massaging" power lumbar. The 6 passanger option has been available for decades in many GM products. I have previously owned two LeSabre LTD's with this option. This was also an option on the Chevy Impala. If I remember right, I think that standard equipmenet was 6 passenger seating and the buckets were an option back in the 80's and 90's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok one other question ! Im was told on this site that it doesnt exist on these cars but im seing not one but two or 3 dts for sale that claim it has the Active Fuel Management technology, which regulates between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation ? Any truth to that ?

·
Registered
2009 DTS Premium Platinum
318 Posts
The column shift (six passenger seating) option was available on (I believe) all trim levels except Performance Edition, which offered only the floor shifter and center console (5 passenger seating). I believe the front bucket seats are the same in all the cars, but with the column shifter the center console is replaced with a narrow center seat section, and LARGE fold-down armrest / storage compartment. The large armrest is very useful to rest your elbow on and drive. This can't be done very well with the center console. Folks with the column shifter have commented that when in drive, the shift knob blocks some of the center console display.
I'm not sure exactly which year they rectified that, but my 2009 column shifter stays out of the way of the nav screen when in drive.

·
Registered
2009 DTS Premium Platinum
318 Posts
Ok one other question ! Im was told on this site that it doesnt exist on these cars but im seing not one but two or 3 dts for sale that claim it has the Active Fuel Management technology, which regulates between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation ? Any truth to that ?
Typical lazy and/or poor salesmansmanship. The Northstar does NOT have active Fuel management. They are most likely confusing it with the 5.3L sidewinder V8 that GM put in the Impala SS, but the Northstar definitely doesn't have it. (BTW, that Impala SS is a FUN car! I considered one before getting the DTS).

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
One item I noticed with the "bench" seat was that if I left the armrest folded up, I could transfer my wife into the car, position her, reach across, and fasten the seatbelt much easier than in cars with the center console.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Ok one other question ! Im was told on this site that it doesnt exist on these cars but im seing not one but two or 3 dts for sale that claim it has the Active Fuel Management technology, which regulates between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation ?
Any truth to that ?
NO...no truth to that whatsoever.
There is no type of active available on the NorthStar and never has been.

Anyone that says or thinks there is...is mistaken.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
1968 Eldorado
785 Posts
I could see an advantage with a bench seat if the driver had some mobility issues. Or for Grandma who may prefer the column shift. I can't imagine too many people order it to put three passengers across the front seat.

I think it was a good idea to make the bucket seats and console standard equipment. In the past bucket seat cars were always considered "special" and more sporting. There will be people who prefer a non-console equipped car, but they will be the minority nowadays.

The luxury of choice. For those of us old enough to remember when Cadillacs were offered with 3 different fabric styles each in eight different colors plus eight different leather colors and even special editions like D'Elegance that had their own fabric and leather choices. Plus you could select between bench or dual comfort divided bench seat and even consoles on some Eldorado years.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Hartford guy,

I have had several d'Elegance models.
Usually Fleetwood Broughams.
I loved the little EXTRA things that only the d'Elegance models had.
I always likes the button tufted seating. Those seats were so comfortable.

Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats how i remember the caddy's ! My neighbour had a 1979 Fleetwood Broughams back in the day and i remember as a kid seing the car drive by the house . It was royal blue in color and made a big impression on me ! I remember my other neighbour at the cottage and a 1977 seville not really a caddy to me alot smaller but another had a 1980 seville with the sloping back wow !
Imamgine my grand dad had caddies from 1957 to 1965 ! wasnt born yet but im sure they were something to see !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts