Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Shifter Pulses on Braking

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  xboxman72 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 SRX4 with about 75K miles. Sometimes on braking the shifter moves up and down. This does not happen every time I brake. Any suggestions? It doesn't feel like a warped rotor or anything.

#4 ·
the shop foreman at my dealership took it for a road test, he says it is a brake issue. I am unconvinced due to the fact that i had new pads and rotors installed 5 months ago. Also, this symptom is too intermittent... you can hit the brakes to scrub off speed and the shifter will pulse, and then when you brake again to slow down more there is no pulse. i am thinking it is the torque converter, trannny or something else in the drive train.

#6 ·
I have not heard anything about this issue prior to this occurence. You could get a second opinion from another dealership if you would like. I hope that helps. If they are unable to diagnose the vehicle please direct message me with what happened at the dealership and I will take care of it on my end.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

#9 ·
Had the same problem a year ago and dealer changed rear rotors. Fixed it until a few weeks ago when shaking started again. I'm sure it's the same problem with out of round rotors - too bad I live in the hills and have to use the brakes!! Just think if they designed brakes for us poor country folk.
Al

#10 ·
My Audi Allroad used to Pulse when breaking - - it shook the entire car.

In it's case - - it was the rotors warping from heat. The issue was heating up the pads during breaking, then sitting with those hot pads pressing hard against the rotor, in a single location.

With practice, I got to where I released the break as the car came to a stop, not putting so much pressure on the pads and therein not heating them up as much. After about 2 months of controlled breaking the pulsing stopped. Never had a problem after that.

#11 ·
My '09 does this as well. It is definately not a rotor issue as my brakes are completely new. I have never been too concerned about it and have not brought it to the attention of the dealer. I did have an '11 CTS4 loaner last week when I had my car in for service and noticed it has the exact same feeling through the shifter. I guess it is just something to live with.

#14 ·
I remember a review, cannot say who did it, but the reviewer did not like the bouncing shifter as he/she called it and that was with a new SRX. I agree with Stillrollin with trying to isolate the drive from the body. My SRX does the same shifter movement occasionally it does not bother me anymore as I take it as normal operation.

#16 ·
The shift lever connects to the transmission via a linkage rod and movement of the transmission on its isolation mounts gets transferred to the lever. A lot of cars use a cable instead which isolates the lever but then you may have to deal with cable stretch...and that can be inconvenient (Ask me how I know).

Bill

#17 ·
SFVetteman...so you're saying this is safe and ok as well...cool...I had a feeling (I must have read it somewhere before) that this was the case but had never really had it happen before in other cars...thanks!

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.