Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys bought this caddy 08 cts w a manual trans and Its shifter is real tight when pulling and pushing it into gears . A little tighter then normal . And when I shift into 5th it has a small grind real quick going in . And suggestions on where i should start looking would be great

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys . I have a 2008 cts vin 7 . Manual trans . When shifting through gears ots really tight .. slash stiff . There is so a small grind when going into 5th . Thanks

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,185 Posts
Hey guys . I have a 2008 cts vin 7 . Manual trans . When shifting through gears ots really tight .. slash stiff . There is so a small grind when going into 5th . Thanks
No need to start a duplicate thread, just be patient.
There aren't many members with manual equipped CTS'.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,823 Posts
Ever changed you fluids?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,246 Posts
Merged the duplicate threads together.

Can you row through the gears smoothly while the engine is off and you're just sitting still? If you can smoothly shift gears while the engine is off, then it's not a mechanical issue with the shifter assembly, it's an issue with the clutch and/or synchros. If it's a problem in every gear, then it's probably not the synchros, as it's unlikely that every gear is bad.

If you cannot smoothly row through the gears while the engine is off, then it is most likely an issue with the shifter assembly itself. I don't know exactly how the 2nd gen setup is configured, but I know with the 1st gen CTS/CTS-V, there are some bushings that go bad and ruin the shifter feel and can make it difficult to get into gear (because the whole assembly is moving around while you're trying to get into a gear). Pretty much every V1 owner has had to replace those bushings with aftermarket poly ones, and even those fail / wear out eventually. You could check with Creative Steel (www.creativesteel.com) to see what shifter parts they make for the 2nd gen, and whether the CTS and CTS-V use the same shifter setup.

As tinman asked, what's the condition of the fluids - the transmission fluid, and the clutch fluid? If the trans fluid has never been changed then it's entirely possible that just doing a fluid change will fix the light grind going into 5th. And if the clutch fluid has never been changed (and the clutch hydraulics have never been bled) then it's entirely possible that a good flush and bleed will make the shifting more smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts