Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have a few questions for you sts pro's out there in regards to the shift to park problems.

In my searching it seems there have been two common "fixes" for this error.
  • Adjust shift linkage
  • Replace shifter assembly
Adjustment works for some, other have gone straight to dealer who often just replaces the shifter which also requires linkage adjustment.

I started getting really bad shift to park errors a few weeks ago, got really really bad were I spent 15min trying to get it to shut down with no luck.
Finally I adjusted the linkage a week and a half ago. Has been fine since then. Suddenly Mon it started again. I found pulling the shifter back stopped it so I planned to get under the car and reduce the adjustment I had made. However the car suddenly yesterday reverted to pre adjustment and would not shut down PERIOD.
Thankfully I was at home, so I jacked the car up in the rain, backed off the adjustment and tried again, still no dice. back under the car. loosened the adjuster and rocked the linkage let it center up on detent, wiggled shifter arm etc, nothing shut her down.
About that time I noticed a high pitched electronic squeal from the trans when I was underneath. Moving the linkage only changed the pitch of it as it cycled P-R-N-D.

So now for the question.. Does anyone know how the park off/lockout system works?
Does it require BOTH sensors to be in park or does one over-ride the other?
I ask this because my dash is telling me the car IS in park but yet I still have the error so at least one sensor is showing park.
From a safety standpoint I would think the trans sensor is the failsafe that has to be in park for the car to shut down, as the linkage could be off and the shifter in P but trans not actually in P..? The dash probably works off the shifter position though?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So my car continues to act up regardles of the adjustments I make, might work 1-2 times then just will not shut down. A few times it has then shut down while I am sitting there not touching anything trying to figure out what to do.. Def a sticky/wasted sensor someplace.

did a search for shifter assemblies and found different numbers. Does anyone know what if anything changed from 06-07 of from the STS to STS-V (besides woodgrain color)? All the STSV get the same number, but the STS has a different number for 07+?

Wondering if they changed something to fix the common failure... Rather get the upgraded part than buy another OE design that will fail again if they did fix the issue...

http://www.gmpartspros.com/oe-gm/19179513

http://www.gmpartspros.com/oe-gm/19179514

http://www.gmpartspros.com/oe-gm/19179515

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
So my car continues to act up regardles of the adjustments I make, might work 1-2 times then just will not shut down. A few times it has then shut down while I am sitting there not touching anything trying to figure out what to do.. Def a sticky/wasted sensor someplace.

did a search for shifter assemblies and found different numbers. Does anyone know what if anything changed from 06-07 of from the STS to STS-V (besides woodgrain color)? All the STSV get the same number, but the STS has a different number for 07+?

Wondering if they changed something to fix the common failure... Rather get the upgraded part than buy another OE design that will fail again if they did fix the issue...

http://www.gmpartspros.com/oe-gm/19179513

http://www.gmpartspros.com/oe-gm/19179514

http://www.gmpartspros.com/oe-gm/19179515
The STS for 05/06 had a 5 speed trans and shared the shifter look of the SRX. In 07 the STS got the 6 speed on the V8 model and the new shifter look. I don't know if the 06 V has the same shaped shifter assembly as the 6 speed STS does.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Luda!!!

I will just stick with the one listed for the V then, Not with the risk for $10-20. I am wondering if that last item ending in 515 is supposed to say 06 and not 07??

The V's all had 6spd auto, least my 06 does..

Not gonna lie I am a bit frustrated with this car. I have had it <3months and already had to do therm the 1st week. now I have the shift to park on going for over a month, LR tire sensor is intermittent and just Friday a CEL came on for inefficient Cats (Po420). Mind you not a single one of these issues was present when I did a 30min test drive before buying it. The tire roar is also now gotten very bad and does not change based on road surface like it used to. A check last weekend confirms that passenger front hub is going out (loose and sounds dry) Driver side feels tight. If I had not documented the VIN during test drive I would swear it was another car. Maybe it is just homesick and missing Canada?
Just a tough pill to swallow with a $20k car with only 55k on the clock needing so much work.

Hoping once I get things fixed she is golden for quite a while.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Yes the V came with the 6L80 trans for all years.
The STS had a 5L40 I think then 6L50.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So a bit of follow up as weather gave me the chance to go under the car a bit and do quick and dirty diagnosis. I wanted to do more but rain was coming back in so I buttoned up and got back inside just before it hit..

SO I put the car up on jackstands and fired it up, of course worked fine the 1st two times shutting down as it should, though it would not remote start....
3rd time it finally hung with the shift to park error. Went under car and disconnected the shift linkage 100%. Moving things around of course made it work again.

Got in car and just goofed around a bit. With the linkage disconnected it worked almost every time and shut down no problems.
To answer my one question, the DASH P-R-N-D readout runs off the sensor/arm on the transmission itself. I moved the shifter in the console and the gear readout in the dash never changed.

The "shift to park" did seem locked into the console shifter. Now it could theoretically require both to be signalling "park" to the ECU but I know for a fact it requires the shifter sensor to be sending park signal.
What I find odd is that it seemed to work properly every time when the linkage was disconnected and trans physically in park. I could almost not get it to fail. As soon as I connected the linkage back it would not shut off and then just shut off on it's own while I was sitting there not doing anything.

Next plan depending on weather is to disconnect it again and try moving just the linkage and see how it behaves, but that takes 2 people and open windows...

·
Registered
2009 STS
54 Posts
I tried numerous times to fix mine also, dealer took pity on me and changed the switch/module for $350. The reduction in my blood pressure from not having to listen to my wife say "You should it get that fixed" over and over and over and over and over every time it intermittently happened was totally worth it.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks hoosier,
Yeah I am just trying to verify which part it is that is bad as I have noticed a high pitched electronic squeal from the trans when sitting there in accy mode. Have to understand the way my luck runs I will be that ONE guy that has something wrong in trans and the shifter will not fix it, so I am diggin in on my own to make sure the "simple" fix is the real fix..
I mean I have had bad therm, seat squeak, tire monitor, now "shift to park", and a front wheel bearing all going out in the first 3 months I have owned it, and not a single one of them gave any indication on the lengthy test drive I did before purchase...

90% sure it is a bad sensor in the shifter, but want to do more testing to make sure.

I do find it very odd that it worked so well with the linkage disconnected and then not at all as soon as I connected the linkage back.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I am at a real loss now.

Got home cycled it a few times and it started acting up.

Climbed underneath and disconnected the linkage 100% so it was hanging on the tail pip not touching the shifter arm. Of course this triggered the car to shut down fully.

Moved the shifter around a bit cycling accy mode and it always shuts down, every single time it gets into park position.

Back under the car and moved the trans linkage to R. Back into the car cycled and would not shut down. I moved the shifter linkage all over and it absolutely would not shut down, so that answers that question, it is a double safety, shifter AND trans must indicate park.

Under car again put back into park and it shut down. every once in a while I could get it to hang. Under car and I rocked the trans linkage till it hit the stopper past park and then let it ratcheted back to park. That shut the car down. Cycled accy a few more times till it stuck, then moved to R and back to park, shut down 1st time. All I have to do is move the linkage a little and it shuts down as long as the shifter is in P.

SO when the linkage is disconnected from the shifter it pretty much always shuts down whether I move the shifter or the linkage anytime both are in P while not connected it works 98% of the time.

/facepalm

I have n problem replacing the shifter, I just dread doing that and finding out it is something in the trans that is the real culprit.

Does anyone know if the sensor for the trans is replaceable without opening up the trans?

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better yet I was just out there again. It stuck in shift to park, I was outside the car looking at it and it shut down on it's own while I was not even touching the car..

I got myself Christine! :canttalk:

·
Registered
2013 Camaro 2SS, Sold 2009 Euro Spec STS 3.6 Sports Luxury
108 Posts
Adjusted mine 5 times......

Ended up swearing quite a lot.......

I now have no hair........

Paid the money for a dealer replacement, was expensive but I now have my sanity back...and my hair is growing again :)

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah my replacement shift arrives Monday unless Fedex loses a second one.. I will replace it myself.

Current one I have found the trick is to open the door before I shut down. That way if it gets even a split second park signal it seems to shut down full and not skip into ACCY mode...

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put new shifter in after work, so far so good. the manual shifter section is tighter too. My old unit had an external arm for the "foot on brake" mechanism, the new ones are all internal, had me a bit concerned until I got it plugged in and tested...

test drive and all is well, see what happens now!!

I might tear this old unit apart and see if find the park sensor and mess with it..

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I mentioned it before about the difference in physical units.
My car was a Canadian car, the shifter I pulled out of it has part number: 15844433
Per the GMparts direct website the correct replacement is: 19179513

Here they are side by side showing the difference:

Good news is as mentioned the new unit dropped right in and is working 100% so far. Hopefully it does for many years.....

Went ahead and tore into the old one, it's bad anyway so why not!!

There are two switches I see that would be involved in the park signal. The top one is activated by the shifter detent mechanism you use to go from park to Rev and vice versa. The second lower one is triggered by the shift lever itself when the shifter is in park. It also however loops thru the Brake pedal solenoid so I think that is a separate circuit to take the car out of park..
My gut is telling me the top sensor is the one that is the culprit as it can only ever be triggered when the car is fully in park and the detent locked in. I may see about pulling out the actual micro switches and get pictures to you guys, maybe one of you has electronics background/contacts and they can be sourced like people did for the door handle parts...?.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another quick follow up..

On the way to work this morning I though of a test to do to try and narrow down which sensor is the culprit..

Try shutting down with shifter in park but the shifter button engaged so could shift out of park.

Got to work and put car in park, put foot on brake so it released the shift button. I pressed the button but left the car in park. Tried to turn the car off and it displayed "shift to park" even with the shifter pushed fully forward in park.. Once I released the button it instantly shut down, so the top switch in my pictures is 100% required for park signal to ECU.. That makes sense as the car wants to see the car not only in park, but locked in park.

IMO Based on the wiring on the shifter harness the lower sensor is NOT part of the "park signal" circuit. The is wired inn series thru the solenoid for having your foot on the brake to release the shifter. It is there to keep the solenoid from activating every time you touch the brake pedal, and limits it to only when the car is in park.

Now to pull the shifter apart further and see if there is a part number on this switch that can be replaced...

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got her all apart so I could see a number. I did a quick search lastnight and did not land anything solid for a replacement switch, but I honestly did not spend much time on it.

Someone on here might know it by sight and a good source, maybe we can start repairing these shifters rather than buying new assemblies..

Maybe something in this catalog will work?
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/supplier/library/pdf/Cherryswitches.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
Replace the shifter and you'll be good to go. This happened to me right after I bought my 07.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I already did, that's why I am fearlessly tearing into the old one, see if my exploring can give us ideas and ways to fix them in the future. Be nice to replace a $5-10-25 switch rather than an entire shifter..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts