Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS 104K miles
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Sevillle STS, 100K has been running fine, used a couple of times a week.
Yesterday started on the way to the store, but the transmission console will not shift out of park.
There is no button on the shifter to unlock, OBDII scanner showed no codes.

Suggestions on where to start?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,605 Posts
Lift the rubber pad in the tray in front of the shifter. There should be a release button there. I think it is orange.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no button under the rubber pad in the popout tray in front of the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
86,605 Posts
From the '01 owners manual (page 2-35)

" Shifting Out of PARK (P)Your vehicle has an automatic transaxle shift lock control system. You have to fully apply your regular brakes before you can shift from PARK (P) when the ignition is ON. See “Automatic Transaxle” in the Index. If you cannot shift out of PARK (P), ease the pressure on the shift lever. Push the shift lever all the way into PARK (P) as you maintain brake application. Then move the shift lever into the gear you want. If you ever hold the pedal down but still can’t shift out of PARK (P), try this:
1. Turn the ignition key to ACC.
2. Open and close the driver’s door to turn off the retained Accessory Power (RAP) feature.
3. Apply and hold the brake until the end of Step 4.
4. Shift to NEUTRAL (N). Start the vehicle and then shift to the drive gear you want.
Have the vehicle fixed as soon as you can."

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The procedure to shift to neutral to start the car worked,
NOW how do I determine what is wrong?
Cadillac garage was $170 for an estimate when I knew where the defective valve was on top of the gas tank of my Acadia.

A little more information may help
DTC – Current Codes
IPM B1340 Air Mix Door One Movement Fault
VTD B1009 EEPROM Checksum Error
VTD B2734 Coded Key Controller Memory Failure
And also have message – “Service Theft System” displayed

AND NONE OF THE THREE REAR BRAKE LIGHT CLUSTERS ARE COMING ON.
A year ago I replaced the switch on the brake pedal that closes when the pedal returns,
didn't touch the switch next to it.

I've checked fuses in both boxes and swapped relays, to no avail.
I wonder if the switch on the brake pedal has gone bad already, AKA stuck in the closed position
and not opening when the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
2006 dts,past03whitediamondsevillests-someday will have another seville/eldorado
166 Posts
Not 100% sure it's the same on your seville as it is on my dts but pretty sure it is. Had it happen on my 06 dts. Found a post on this forum where you have to pop up the wood trim around the shifter. From the drivers seat it is on the right side of the shifter. There is a small metal "button" like thing for the shift interlock. It's kind of a beast to get your hand in there without taking it all the way out, kind of scrape up your hand. I just popped up the back by the cupholders and wedged my hand in and pulled up on the trim to reach. But can reach in there and push the little diamater of a pen size piece of metal like button in, then can shift.

Works until you can actually get it fixed. Mine went suddenly out of nowhere too. Ended up being the shift interlock solenoid that needed to be replaced. But the button trick worked for like a week until i could get it in

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the rear brake lamps are also not working. I checked the switch on the brake pedal and it is not stuck closed.
Does the interlock solonoid effect the brake lights as well? I've pulled fuses and swapped relays to no avail.
I don't want to drive without brake lights. I just replaced the left and right brake lamp bulbs, but when one of them was burned out the
LED brake strip on the trunk still worked.

·
Super Moderator
86,605 Posts
Does the interlock solonoid effect the brake lights as well?
No, it's a safety device that simply prevents you from shifting out of park without your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
If it doesn't release the shift interlock solenoid, and the brake lights don't work, your brake pedal switch is shot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And it was the brake light switch with a brand name belying its longevity. I pulled it out and it was not fully released, So I took it apart and could find no burrs or cuts or anything that would restrict movement of the piston. I reassembled and reinstalled the switch and it is fully working again.

I am including the Delco part in a new order to Rock Auto, in the interim I have brake lights and can shift the car from park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts