Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Two days ago I changed the shift knob on my ’97 STS as the old one was worn-out. This one I found it on E-bay for around 80 dollars (+ shipping).
The process of changing the shift knob is pretty simple, with the right tool shouldn’t take more than 2 mins.
For me “the right tool” was a set of long-nose pliers (but a flat-head screwdriver or even a knife could be an option). The only thing that hold the knob in place is a “U” shape clip that can be accessed in front of the knob (just bellow the shift button).
Shift the car in the 1-st (for a better access) stick the sharp tool behind the “U” shape clip and pull it out, then the knob will come out very easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Excellent post! I was waiting for a good diagram before I started ripping up my shifter! Thanks much man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Yes, very nice post...

Keep in mind though that this only works on Seville shifters up to (and including) 1997... In 1998 and newer GM changed the design... On newer SLS & STS, GM move the clip "inside" the shifter... it is a internal split ring spring.

To remove these knobs... gently wiggle the knob back and forth while you pull straight up with all of your strength... clean the shaft with WD40 before you reinstall it and it will come off a little easier next time.

BTW the little Horseshoe clip has been used on GM shifters back to the early 70's... Unlike the Sevilles, I think the Eldos used the horseshoe clip until they were retired in 2002.

·
Registered
STS & Catera
76 Posts
Yeah I thought I was going to break something...the only thing that was hurt was my hand though when it hit the roof once it came off. haha

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Yeah I thought I was going to break something...the only thing that was hurt was my hand though when it hit the roof once it came off. haha
that was my experience as well. Glad I didn't have my face over that thing when it finally released. :bonkers:

·
Registered
Eldorado 98
264 Posts
This needs to be in a how to data base or tip forum! Mine however is a (* and I have the U shaped clip it is said that 98's don't :hmm:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just changed my Seville's shifter knob, I went to Pick Your Part and it only costed me 4 bucks! And its a simple job to change pull the clip out on the front of the shifter as you said and you definitely have to pull up a bit, because it's tight. Thanks for the tip on changing it.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Last night I spent over 4 hour cutting and sewing and stretching and finally the result is excellent:

This is my original shifter knob; the one I removed in the first place about 2 years ago, and the reason I started this thread. If is possible to restore, yes definitely as you can see, does it worth…well the replacement was ~$75 plus S&H (all in all probably little over $100). I don’t think worth as a business is too much work. At least now I have two…
All you need is about ½ sqr foot of leather, ~2 ft of No. 10 3 ply nylon thread and a little contact cement. Cut the leather using the old one as a template (including the holes for the thread). Apply some contact cement in the area surrounding the button and put some folded paper between the button and the leather (all around) to keep the leather in position for the contact cement to dry. Then using two needles and a lot of patience sew the leather in a cross pattern stitching (same as the baseball).
At the end use some contact cement to hold the leather folded inwards on the base of the knob. That’s it!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For some reason unknown to me (well it was more like training) I recovered with new leather the original steering wheel that came with my car. Now I have a woodgrain '02 Eldorado steering (with dark wood - thus is the one that truly matches the wood trims in the car) and looks pretty good. But who knows at some point I may need to replace the leather so this was a good training. Here are some pictures:

And here it is finished after about 4 days of forks (along the last 12 months).

I did customize-it a bit, I fixed a factory issue with the stitching. If you look carefully at the stitches you will noticed that are going one way (couter-clock wise). This means that on the left side of the steering wheel the stitches are going down while on the right side are going up so is not symmetrical. Well at the very top and bottom of the steering wheel I am reversing the stitches so on both sides are heading down (thus is symmetrical).
Pretty much is the same technique as with the shifter knob, 2 needles and lot of pulling and stretching (plus a little bit of contact cement here and there).

·
Registered
Eldorado
33 Posts
killer stitching man i have been meaning to do this to my eldorado but i have just been lazy. maybe this thread will make me get off my ass and get to sewing. nice work

·
Registered
2000 eldorado, 99 deville, 92 brougham limo, 71 sedan deville
55 Posts
I know this thread is dirt old, but anyone know if a knob from a 81 would work in a 2000 Eldorado? They both use the u clip

·
Registered
2000 eldorado, 99 deville, 92 brougham limo, 71 sedan deville
55 Posts
Okay. Your technically right Lol. Perhaps a better way to phrase the question is, is it reasonable to theorize that it might?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts