Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
cts4 2008 DI, cts 2005 3.6(totaled)
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short stories An idiot has hit the rear left side and my car did a 180 and I hit the central reservation. He left the accident but I was able to see the first 3 number of his plate and I know it was a bmw serie 3 between 2006-2008.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Re: She gone totaled 05 cts (HIT AND RUN)

Sorry for your loss, That car looked great, May be to early to ask but will you be parting it out? That grill looks great :eek:

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
So that's how BMW intends to compete...take out the comp..:) sorry to here it. The good news is you get to go car shopping, best of luck!

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts

Sorry man, sad to see yet another first gen CTS off the road. But that's the nature of cars.

I'm curious what would you replace it with?

I have been thinking about this much lately, that I like my CTS so much (especially after all the fixes and upgrades) it would suck big time if something where to happen to it.
I wouldn't be able to replace it with another first gen CTS or STS though. Mine has been with me for so long I know it's history inside out (including it's appetite for oil).

My current plan is to keep it as my backup car and get a V early next year. If something where to happen to it I'll just go straight to the V then I guess

·
Registered
cts4 2008 DI, cts 2005 3.6(totaled)
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sorry for your loss, That car looked great, May be to early to ask but will you be parting it out? That grill looks great :eek:
I would like
, but Canadian law does not allow the insurance resell the car to the insured :(

----------

Sorry man, sad to see yet another first gen CTS off the road. But that's the nature of cars.

I'm curious what would you replace it with?

I have been thinking about this much lately, that I like my CTS so much (especially after all the fixes and upgrades) it would suck big time if something where to happen to it.
I wouldn't be able to replace it with another first gen CTS or STS though. Mine has been with me for so long I know it's history inside out (including it's appetite for oil).

My current plan is to keep it as my backup car and get a V early next year. If something where to happen to it I'll just go straight to the V then I guess
I feel you , but I'm glad to get rid of it after many problem with my cts.
i alway wanted the 09 jaguar xf the supercharged version but in quebec It like 20k+ so little off my budget for now . Im looking for the g37x , tl sh maybe a stsv but none in quebec , 2nd gen cts but I heard 2008-2009 aren't reliable

·
Registered
969 Posts

I would like
, but Canadian law does not allow the insurance resell the car to the insured :(

----------

I feel you , but I'm glad to get rid of it after many problem with my cts.
i alway wanted the 09 jaguar xf the supercharged version but in quebec It like 20k+ so little off my budget for now . Im looking for the g37x , tl sh maybe a stsv but none in quebec , 2nd gen cts but I heard 2008-2009 aren't reliable
I have considered an STS-V as well, but for two main reasons I wouldn't touch one.

- First reason it's EPA MPG of 13 city / 19 Highway 15 combined is pathetic there is no way I could live with it. With occasional spirited driving and driving 70-80 MPH on the highway my CTS returns consistently 17 to 20 mpg combined depending on how many times it sees high revs.
- Second reason, the Northstar LC3 is not only supercharged (more things to maintain) it's a DOHC supercharged V8 (will not be as simple as an LS to work on) and to top it off only the XLR-V and the STS-V had it.
That means top dollars for parts and labor. It's not like it's some LS2 / LS3 under the hood with tons of aftermarket.

I have considered the 2nd gen CTS with LY7 as well but would never consider one with the LY7 engine. I love the LY7 in my car had it just not been for it's oil consumption. It's a lovely engine but with that one real critical shortcoming it's spoiling the whole deal.
I don't have experience with the DI 3.6 but my impression so far from others is that most of the shortcomings of the LY7 were taken care of, but 2nd gen forum people would be able to answer all questions.
The biggest let down as far as the 2nd gen CTS is that all that extra power it makes from DI over the LY7 goes towards dealing with the extra hundreds of pounds the 2nd gen CTS gained.
So 0-60 and quarter mile for a 3.6 first gen and 3.6 DI 2nd gen are nearly identical, and as far as performance goes there is nothing to gain there which makes the 2nd gen not really an option for me.

The 2009 G37 and more specifically the G37S is very appealing 0-60 (5.0 seconds for the 7-speed auto and ~5.2 for the 6-speed manual) and quarter mile nearly identical to a first gen CTS-V and with a healthy VQ aftermarket (thanks to the 350z/370Z)
and a much nicer interior than the first gen CTS makes it very hard proposition to resist.

The 2009 G37 6 speed manual version gets 17 city / 25 highway and 20 combined (a tad better than the 19 combined of the 3.6L CTS)
The 2009 G37 7-speed auto gets 18 city /26 highway and 21 combined (better as well than the first gen CTS)

Considering both these cars have much better interiors and nice MPG numbers and very near performance to a first gen V I'm finding it hard to get a first gen V which returns sad MPG numbers 14 City / 22 Highway and 16 combined

The biggest benefit from getting a V I guess would be having an LS engine but the VQ engines have a great reputation that's hard to shake as far as V6 goes. But I would still have to tolerate the poor plasticky interior and the ancient infotainment which doesn't offer even an AUX port without hacking it like I did to mine.

Oh decisions decisions....tsk tsk tsk...

I say if your heart is not attached to the V much just spring for the G37s you can't go wrong, but I would research it a bit more to see what are the major failure issues on those (can't be worse than a first gen CTS hehe)

·
Registered
03 CTS (Dead), 06 3.6 CTS(Sold), 07 CTS-V
1,503 Posts
I would say get an 07-08 335i before you get a g37...my roommates have both of these cars.. (im slackin haha).

The g37s is an 08 6spd manual and the bmw is a 10 335i 6spd manual as well with the n55 and in performance theres no comparison...my roommate with the g37 wishes he would've got an 07-8 335 every day lol..

G37s mods - stillen gen 3 intake, berks hiflo cats, muff delete( or megan muffler depending how he feels)
335i mods - jb4 tune, downpipe, afe intake, muff delete, coils

First off, the clutch on the g37 blows...we all hate it..the motor is awesome for a na motor and to me the seats are actually a little nicer in the luxury aspect.

The 335 is very performance oriented and is much faster than the g..I love driving his 335 and really could care less about driving the g37.

The V to me would only be competable if you get an 06/7 that was extremely clean. At first it wipes both, but if youre into modding..the 335i can be made FAST for not much money.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would say get an 07-08 335i before you get a g37...my roommates have both of these cars.. (im slackin haha).

The g37s is an 08 6spd manual and the bmw is a 10 335i 6spd manual as well with the n55 and in performance theres no comparison...my roommate with the g37 wishes he would've got an 07-8 335 every day lol..

G37s mods - stillen gen 3 intake, berks hiflo cats, muff delete( or megan muffler depending how he feels)
335i mods - jb4 tune, downpipe, afe intake, muff delete, coils

First off, the clutch on the g37 blows...we all hate it..the motor is awesome for a na motor and to me the seats are actually a little nicer in the luxury aspect.

The 335i is very performance oriented and is much faster than the g..I love driving his 335 and really could care less about driving the g37.

The V to me would only be competable if you get an 06/7 that was extremely clean. At first it wipes both, but if youre into modding..the 335i can be made FAST for not much money.
Well of course I'm only looking at a 06-07 LS2 V, might as well why go with the older engine when I'm forking over a decent sum anyways.

The attractive thing to me about getting the V is that I can get a V and if need be rebuild that engine myself by hand and take my time with it and upgrade a few things along the way

for not much money (except the cam I HATE LOPEY Engine idles with passion stock cam is great), swap some G-force axels and one of the GM CTS-V Performance exhausts sounded great and I would be set.

And if one day I wanted to gobble up 335i's for dinner I can turbo that mofo.

And I have not considered the 335i for an obvious reason, I need a sedan that would comfortably seat two or maybe three adults if need be in the back.

The G37s sedan and the 335i do not compare Tlorenzon (G37s coupe sure but not the sedan and I need a 4dr sedan) yet I'm willing maintenance cost for the 335i will be near twice those of the G37 over time.

The back seats on the 335i are much smaller than the first gen CTS making it a useless car for me,

if useless back seats were no issue to me, then I would have probably sold my CTS and gotten a manual LS3 Camaro long time ago and made that my DD or an ATS coupe with some power mods.

Nothing against BMWs from me, love everything about them except their maintenance cost, it's still fantastic what you can get out of a 335i with a JBx tune though, just jaw dropping what they left on the table.

But just keep in mind the G37s can be tuned easily and turboed to make it an easy fight for the G37 coupe or sedan, I'm sure you have seen videos of twin turbo G37's they are putting out tons of power GT-R type of power.

Plus I really don't want the smog BMW stigma there's enough ******* 3 series drivers for now in them around here in 335i's and 328's roaming the street and highways like they are the shit, E60 535i is a different story you don't see those guys acting like *******s most of them at least.

I would love to be in something uncommon and get like no attention just a guy cursing in some 2007 car nothing to see here.

Kind of like now in my CTS no one pays real attention to me and I like it...but still constantly getting compliments from strangers in parking lots for how clean and unique the car looks.

I tell you what, if I could twin turbo my CTS and swap a manual in (heck I'll take a purpose built auto if that's what it would take) and fix my oil consumption without it coming back, I would have almost no reason to look into anything else.

I'm serious this car has depreciated as much as it could it's time to have fun with it.

If I could do that to my CTS I'm 100% wiling to properly leather uphloster that cheap interior with my own hands and go through the hassle of upgrading my base Bose radio with some serious aftermarket double din stuff while retaining DIC and steering wheel controls and make it look factory even.

But since tuning and modding options for the CTS are near zero I'll take a V and save myself a ton of headache.

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
CTSM you're preaching to the choir, lol. I could get rid of this thing anytime I want, been eyeing the Chevy SS(holden commodore) now that a manual is an option. It's not as good looking as the G8 GXP was but more of a sleeper. Only thing is I like not having a car payment and I've made this CTS pretty damn reliable, looks great, I know it inside and out and have acquired a ton of special kent-moore gm tools. I've never had an oil consumption problem but mine is the 2.8. You think having the manual could have anything to do with that? Downshifting and engine braking pulling the rings out all the time? Staying on top of maintenance with these cars is paramount. I'll just use the payment I would be making on my 68 Corvette restoration lol

----------

What will kill this car for me is when GM starts discontinuing stuff and the only option is picking through junk yards. Especially on the electronics side and switch gear.

·
Registered
03 CTS (Dead), 06 3.6 CTS(Sold), 07 CTS-V
1,503 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize you needed plenty of rear space. The 335 definitely has a smaller back seat than my cts, but I've never had a problem sitting back there and I'm 5'10".

For me, I'd then take an 06/7 V over the g37 sedan..Grant it you get more technology in the G37, which is why my roommate didn't opt for the v..Even though the 3.7 is a beast of a 6 cylinder, there's no replacement for displacement..Also, haven driven all three, I feel the steering in the CTS is better than both the G37 and the 335; it just feels superior and gives more feedback. Although, the 335 does have an obviously stiffer chassis than both cars.

For maintenance, I agree the bmw is higher, but I also feel the quality of plastics in the bimmer are better. His g has wear spots on the handles and a couple other spots on the interior and has headlight yellowing issues as well with only 60k miles. When it comes to build quality, it's obvious its just a dressed up nissan, atleast for the interior.

The TT Z's and G's are awesome..they're pretty much rwd GTR's.. My roommates sounds awesome btw..The berks combined with a muffler delete has it sounding identical to a (slightly louder) gtr..its beautiful..Although it drones a ton on the interstate, that's why he bought a Megan Muffler...except it has been off for the past month..I assume if he goes on any trips it will be going back on lol.

Thats my .02..Get a V :highfive: Preferably a stealth grey one!
This one looks awesome..I'd maybe do a different wheel choice but still good. I'm aiming to get a 1g V next summer after graduation. Just not sure if I'll keep my 3.6 as a work car or trade up and have minimum to no payments..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts