Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Seville SLS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up guys, just a quick question. I'm seriously considering buying a jet ski and I was wondering your thoughts on if towing it with the caddy would be a problem. I've tried searching the site but came up with nothing on this topic. Does anyone have a hitch on their seville, if so do you have pics was the install hard? I have a 1999 Seville and was hoping to maybe see some pics of a hitch installed on that body, thanks for any info guys................

·
Registered
Crimson Pearl 2001 STS
126 Posts
I’ve installed and removed one from my Grandfathers 99 Deville. I am not sure how similar the Seville rear end is though. I know on one of his Devilles he had to cut a hole into lower black plastic portion of the rear bumper to put the hitch through. The lateral connectors used the same holes for the rubber bushings holding up the exhaust. The other connections going towards the front of the car used the frame and existing holes. It was much easier to take off than install. As far as performance and wear on the engine, I have no info.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,446 Posts
:thumbsup: Given the load and towing ratings, you should have no problem towing a PAIR of jet skis on a side by side. Just make sure that the jet ski paint, the trailer paint and the wheels match your SLS. Snoop the DrawTite website. Rinse off any critters or salt water...........

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
:thumbsup: Given the load and towing ratings, you should have no problem towing a PAIR of jet skis on a side by side. Just make sure that the jet ski paint, the trailer paint and the wheels match your SLS. Snoop the DrawTite website. Rinse off any critters or salt water...........
Yes, the Draw-Tite site shows installation instructions.
And be sure to hose off like the Sub man says. Zebra mussels have been a plague in some lakes.

·
Registered
1999 Seville SLS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm still in the deciding stage if I want to do it or not but if I do it I'll definately post pictures........

·
Registered
Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6
121 Posts
Hey friend I would never tow with my 2006 STS or my 1992 Seville 4.9 unless I had a super heavy duty trans cooler. because I think you are asking for a big head ache. My friend works at a trans shop and I just called him and that is no joke to tow something.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Hey friend I would never tow with my 2006 STS or my 1992 Seville 4.9 unless I had a super heavy duty trans cooler. because I think you are asking for a big head ache. My friend works at a trans shop and I just called him and that is no joke to tow something.
Are you kidding? We towed a 15' SeaRay for 10 years with our family's 89 Deville with zero problems with the engine until 230,000 miles. The boat was towed from Chicago to Norther Michigan, an 8 hour drive for most of those 10 years. We launched it and pulled it out of the water with the Caddy.

I think you are really under estimating the Caddy.

·
Registered
Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6
121 Posts
yes very true I never have towed anything but the guy said to make modifications to the trans cooler. you had a good experince. I also had neighbors that had a 1976 coupe deville and they towed 1979-1987 with that these cars are different is all I am saying [ I would not do that ]

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,446 Posts
:confused: Towing a 2 or 3 passenger jet ski, trailer and all, is roughly equivalent to putting 3 or 4 bags of sand or Sakrete mix in the trunk - a couple of hundred pounds, + or -. The N* has a transmission cooler in the left radiator tank, which is the "cool" side of the radiator. The engine oil cooler is in the right tank, or "hot" side in order to get lube oil temps up in the 200+ range in a hurry. No, I wouldn't tow a house trailer, but a jet ski and trailer don't go over the vehicle load rating by a long shot. Get obsessive and stare at the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1992 STS
70 Posts
I've hauled around 3 beer-loving friends, luggage, food, coolers (1 meat and 1 beer), and golf-clubs... that probably equals a jet-ski or two! Not a bad idea to avoid using the overdrive on any hills, IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts