Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 2003 STS had a shimmy. Went through everything under the moon 3 times, $$$$ and it came down to strut mounts. All the crap I went through and it was a $400.00 fix. You may hear a dozen other fixes but it all comes down to what I found.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,452 Posts
Don't hang you hat on the same fix for all FWD Northstar vehicles with odd vibrations at odd speeds and odd times. Over the years we have seen everything from bad tires, bad balance, rotors, hubs, pads, sway bar end links, struts, lower control arm bushings, hub/rotor faces with runout - you name it.

The vibration diagnosis chapter in the GM service manuals for these cars is quite large - and covers many diagnostic techniques.

·
Registered
Former 2003 Seville STS, 2016 ATS4 Coupe Premium 3.6
16 Posts
Mine was caused by rust on the front brakes from the previous owner parking it for so long. Changed the brakes and it went away.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
It would be very unusual for a strut mount to cause the issue, not saying couldn't happen mind you but to post this is the only fix ignore everything else is not a good recommendation.
Rare and unusual fixes are hard to track down and many times the solutions are a combination of things.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,736 Posts
Our 01 SLS has been gone for two years, but I chased the vibration demon the whole 10 years we owned it. Like the car a lot, but that was my single biggest complaint.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,931 Posts
Yes ima dig up an old thread, but im experiencing the same thing on my eldo, and have new-ish strut mounts.I might be due for new rotors and pads and yes i know my rotors aren't warped. so i might need ball joints tie rods, etc inspected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts