Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a performance chip for a '99 Seville SLS or STS? I know that they have them for 97 and eariler models but I haven't seen any for the newer Sevilles.

Is there a reason for the lack of chips for these models?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I think it's because of the OBD-II compliance. I believe the last year for chip availability is 1995. 1996 and later are OBD-II systems, and so far, chips are unavailable for these engines. If you know of a chip for a '97, it should work on your '99. Where are you seeing availability for a 1997 chip? That would interest many people on this forum I think.

·
Registered
Seville STS
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad it may be '95 that I'm thinking about. I was referring to the body style before my '99. I know they were the same body style in '98 but couldn't remember if they were before that.

Thanks for the knowledge. Hopefully something will come out for the '98 - '03's soon

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
92-97 -- "older" bodystyle on the E/K platform.
98-03 -- "newer" bodystyle on the G platform.

93-95 -- OBD-I Northstar. (excluding 4.9L '93 Seville).
96-99 -- OBD-II Northstar, with 10.3:1 compression (92 octane).
00-03 -- OBD-II Northstar, with 10.0:1 compression (87 octane).

If they come out with chips, they'd probably be grouped in two categories -- for 96-99 cars and for 00-03 cars. The bodystyle makes little difference for the chip manufacturers. What matters most is the powertrain setup. The engines changed quite a bit for 2000 (including a lower compression and redesigned combustion chamber to recommend 87 octane and roller cam followers to recommend 5W-30 engine oil).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts