Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some might think this should go into the detailing section, but since it applies directly to the seats in my Seville I thought I'd post it here...

So my trusty old bottle of Megs Gold Class Leather Conditioner (the old cream, not the new spray) has finally just about ran out, so I took a ride down to Advance Auto and picked up a bottle of Lexol Conditioner. I went about my normal routine of wiping the seats down with my H-D leather care wipes and then went on with the Lexol. Even after letting it soak in and buffing off the excess my seats still have a shiny look to them. Somethings I like to be shiny - chrome, paint... not leather seats. So now I have shiny seats and I'm out ten bucks...

I thought I would just try it since a lot of people recommend it... but I think I'll just have to pony up the $35 for some Leatherique...

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Good thread! I was just wondering what to use on my car for it's leather.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
meguiars only sir
Almost as bad as Mother's! Damn idiots think Mother's is the secret of all car cleaning. JUNK!

Meguiars is almost as bad. I would sooner deal with Armor All, who cares if the name carries less of an image of class. The products produce a better finished result.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
You probably put way too much on. I'm a detailer and use lexol cleaner and conditioner and have never had greasy slippery seats. You would have better results if you used less. Meguiers, mothers, armor all, all crap.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You probably put way too much on. I'm a detailer and use lexol cleaner and conditioner and have never had greasy slippery seats. You would have better results if you used less. Meguiers, mothers, armor all, all crap.
Well... I can't say I've detailed anyone else's cars.. but I've been doing mine for darn near 20 years now. I was trying to think what I used before the Megs cream... I think always just used good ol' saddle soap and mink oil. I never experienced any cracking with the Megs and I've been using that for quite a few years now. As far as the lexol goes I don't think I used too much at all. I used one good squirt on one of my microfiber pads per seat. I let them sit for a little bit and then buffed them dry with some softcloths. Like I said, they're not really greasy, so much as they're shiny. Noticeably shinier than they were before.

I just don't like it... I think I'm going to have the wife order some Leatherique sometime this week.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
This Leatherique sounds like the stuff to use. I'll have to check into that for the Benz...$37 does sound a bit high though. I can buy the M-B leather cleaner at the dealer for $12.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
I think the problem is not all automotive leathers are the same, by far - I'm sure different manufacturers buy differently treated leather, so what works on one car may not give the same results on another. I really doubt that the hides in a R-R are the same as the hides in a Tacoma. Automotive leathers are probably treated and dyed with all sorts of different stuff. As I told Mr. Goff in a PM, I use and am satisfied with Duragloss Leather conditioner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts